Online brokers for share ISA

For discussion about pensions, insurance, tax, ISA's, etc...
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Online brokers for share ISA

Postby Pixel8r » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:53 am

I have had my share dealing ISA with Selftrade for years and have run into a major problem. Certain stock that I held within my ISA went through name changes this year, with these name changes their ISIN numbers changed and they dropped off the crest settlement system. Selftrade have told me that because they are no longer able to be settled on the crest system that I have now to be sent certificates and that the stocks drops out of my ISA.

I have now been speaking with TD waterhouse and have found out that if my ISA had been with them that this wouldn't have happened. I have also found out that loads of stocks on the Toronto Venture exchange can be held within an ISA via them, which is good for buying juniors. So I have arranged to switch my ISA over to TDW so hopefully won't run into the same problems again.

So in short I would now recommend holding your UK share ISA with TDW rather than Selftrade for buying Canadian juniors.
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Re: Online brokers for share ISA

Postby Does Commute Abit » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm going TD Waterhouse as well next year.

Llyods aren't the cheapest and don't allow Toronto exchange stocks either. They are mainly aiming at customers wanting to trade FTSE 300 companies, but proved a good way to learn how to do things, and were helpful when called up. I prefer their website to Selftrade, also.
Does Commute Abit
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
59.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Diet Cola Addict wrote:I'm going TD Waterhouse as well next year.

Llyods aren't the cheapest and don't allow Toronto exchange stocks either. They are mainly aiming at customers wanting to trade FTSE 300 companies, but proved a good way to learn how to do things, and were helpful when called up. I prefer their website to Selftrade, also.

The trouble with selftrade for Canadian miners is that you need to deal via the phone on most trades. They are this year putting their fees up for phone trades to £18.50.

With TDW you can put limit buy and sells in on canadian juniors online which execute for £12.50, much better I think.
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Does Commute Abit » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Just a few notes from TD Waterhouse T+C's:

+ 2011/12 limit is £10680. That's £890 a month from savings, or 1068 in 10- installments.

"The Administration Fee will be charged once a year on or around the first business day in June, calculated on the account value on the last business day in May"

Admin fee = 0 for accounts valued above £5100. Otherwise, its £30 annual. I do wonder how it works if you open the account after 1st June - I would expect that to be a £30 charge, so you have to get the money in early (at 0% interest) to avoid the fee.
Does Commute Abit
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
59.4%

Postby Does Commute Abit » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:18 pm

"I do wonder how it works if you open the account after 1st June - I would expect that to be a £30 charge, so you have to get the money in early (at 0% interest) to avoid the fee."

To clarify, yes, the account must worth over £5100 by 1st June to avoid the fee, so opening one after June will incur £30 nevertheless.
Does Commute Abit
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
59.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Diet Cola Addict wrote:
"I do wonder how it works if you open the account after 1st June - I would expect that to be a £30 charge, so you have to get the money in early (at 0% interest) to avoid the fee."

To clarify, yes, the account must worth over £5100 by 1st June to avoid the fee, so opening one after June will incur £30 nevertheless.

I am transferring in my old ISA from selftrade, so won't be needing to think about fees as I have using my allowance for a few years.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Ziknik » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Can you do me a favour - next time you log in will you check if SJ37 &SJ36 are available.

Thanks
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%

Postby Pixel8r » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Ziknik wrote:Can you do me a favour - next time you log in will you check if SJ37 &SJ36 are available.

Thanks

Sorry not sure what you mean about SJ36 & SJ37 and do you mean on selftrade or tdw?
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Ziknik » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Pixel8r wrote:Sorry not sure what you mean about SJ36 & SJ37

That's the EPIC. They should come up with the warrant when you punch them in to the search.

Example: If you punch "AAPL" in to the search, you will get "Apple"

Pixel8r wrote:and do you mean on selftrade or tdw?

tdw please. I hate selftrade, they pretend to be a low cost broker and then they rinse you right out of your current account!
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%

Postby fexx » Tue May 03, 2011 10:24 am

Anyone have any experience of Interactive Investor?

http://www.iii.co.uk

Seems fairly cheap, reviews tend to be split between people who really like it and people who can't log in.

I was thinking of opening an account for some small trades of quite outside longs (some in isa) which I could just leave for the long haul. It seems quite cheap for this as you just pay per trade, no annual fee, etc
Disclaimer - I am not backed by anything.
fexx
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
85.6%

Postby Pixel8r » Tue May 03, 2011 12:24 pm

fexx wrote:Anyone have any experience of Interactive Investor?

http://www.iii.co.uk

Seems fairly cheap, reviews tend to be split between people who really like it and people who can't log in.

I was thinking of opening an account for some small trades of quite outside longs (some in isa) which I could just leave for the long haul. It seems quite cheap for this as you just pay per trade, no annual fee, etc

I have no experience of iii, but if you want to buy Canadian juniors within an ISA I would definitely recommend TDW.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby fexx » Wed May 04, 2011 10:07 am

Pixel8r wrote:I have no experience of iii, but if you want to buy Canadian juniors within an ISA I would definitely recommend TDW.

Thanks Pix, already have this.

I'm opening an iii account today just to diversify a bit - there's no annual fees & you can trade pretty low amounts, so it is going to be my 'outside chance' long trades account. Will see how it goes....
fexx
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
85.6%

Postby fexx » Thu May 05, 2011 10:50 am

Opened an account & placed my first order - a bit more SLW (chart is giving me deja-vu on Ag in GBP a while back!!)

Had no problems - They do have a bizarre 'double login' process where you have to register first and log in to that, then log-in again to your ISA account, but other than that it seems straightforward. You get a regular stocks & shares trader account when you open an ISA account and there are no annual fees, so if you're investing under £5100, it might be better than TDW.

Another good thing is that when you register, you link the account to your bank account and transfer the funds. The funds were immediately available for trading without clearing.

And it works on Macs (take note FXCM, City index, etc, etc, etc....)
fexx
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
85.6%

Postby Pixel8r » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Have just downloaded and installed the new TDW iPhone app. It's very good.

http://www.tdwaterhouse.co.uk/Using-your-Account/Ways-of-Placing-Trades/Mobile-Trading/Trading-App.aspx
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Return to Personal Finance