Why I like silver

24Knews main news & discussion threads
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Why I like silver

Postby Schaublin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:21 am

Back in 2006 I returned to the UK (temporarily) after having spent some years in Russia and Moldova where I studied Russian and taught English - amongst other things...

I had begun to develop an interest in economics as a result of my interest in history - especially Russian history and initially tried to understand the insane property bubble that had developed in the UK. Housepricecrash provided a good entry for me to understand what was going on and I decided to sell my apartment in June 07 - it sold for the asking price immediately which was just over three times what I had paid in 2001. That Summer was the peak of the bubble and I felt myself lucky to have exited at the top. At that time, 5% interest was easily available on deposit - which was more than I had received in rent on the apartment but nevertheless, I began to accumulate gold - I felt that what was occurring in the UK was not only the collapse of a housing bubble but that the housing bubble itself was all that had propped up an otherwise basket case of an economy.

By spring 08, I was comfortable with my gold position and began to research silver - why was it so cheap and why had it been so cheap for so long? I spent many hours reading different opinions on silver - from price suppression and partial monetisation through to the industrial uses - and possible future uses. After a few months I came to the conclusion that silver is ..... cheap!

Ok, so silver is cheap but will it be cheap in the future? At the moment there is little investment demand for silver and its industrial use is tied to manufacturing output so silver bumps along the bottom - helped by the paper trading antics of those who also attempt to manipulate gold prices but I believe there is a good probability of silver increasing in real terms by up to five times its present price - to 100 USD (today's dollars) perhaps even more. My gut instinct is that silver is a vital industrial metal which if shown even the smallest amount of interest by investors will rocket in price to establish a new equilibrium between industry and investment.

There are many sources on the Internet that will give opinions about silver and will furnish numbers to back up their opinions - I will not do this because I do not know enough and I do not necessarily believe the numbers anyway. My belief is that as the confidence in the USD and other currencies tied to it ebbs and investors look around at what tangible goods will preserve their wealth, some will look at silver and think it cheap enough and useful enough to invest in some - it will not need many to start the ball rolling and it will then catch the eyes of others...

Schaublin
User avatar
Schaublin
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
48.1%
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Why I like silver

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:45 am

Schaublin wrote:Back in 2006 I returned to the UK (temporarily) after having spent some years in Russia and Moldova where I studied Russian and taught English - amongst other things......

Thanks for this high quality post and welcome to 24Knews Schaublin, from the silver bull. 8-)
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18512
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Why I like silver

Postby Schaublin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:13 pm

BTW, although this may be the worst possible place to ask - if anyone has any silver they want to swap for paper, PM me and we may be able to help each other out ;)
User avatar
Schaublin
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
48.1%
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Why I like silver

Postby warpig » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Good post! As far as I'm concerned, the gold:silver ratio was based on the amount of each metal known to have existed in the Earth's crust. Now, unless you're going to include landfills in that estimation, I am 100% sure silver will go through price discovery, a lot of silver has simply been consumed. As it stands, it is not economical to recycle silver in anything but certain obvious industries (photography), this will have to change. Excuse the pun, but silver is a gold mine.

Incidentally, if you've ever held a 5KG bar silver you'll probably agree with me, you really feel like you've bought something special.
"There can be no other criterion, no other standard than gold. Yes, gold which never changes, which can be turned into ingots bars, coins, which has no nationality and which is eternally and universally accepted as the unalterable fiduciary value par excellence"

"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money, bets against 6,000 years of recorded human history."

Charles de Gaulle
User avatar
warpig
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster
Progress to next rank:
15.1%
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:46 am

Re: Why I like silver

Postby Schaublin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:57 pm

warpig wrote:Good post! As far as I'm concerned, the gold:silver ratio was based on the amount of each metal known to have existed in the Earth's crust. Now, unless you're going to include landfills in that estimation, I am 100% sure silver will go through price discovery, a lot of silver has simply been consumed. As it stands, it is not economical to recycle silver in anything but certain obvious industries (photography), this will have to change. Excuse the pun, but silver is a gold mine.

Incidentally, if you've ever held a 5KG bar silver you'll probably agree with me, you really feel like you've bought something special.


I have and I do - see my avatar ;)
User avatar
Schaublin
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
48.1%
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Why I like silver

Postby warpig » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 am

Good man, I wasn't sure if it was yours.

I want some more so I can build something out of them, I think 84 bars should do it.

Where did you get yours from, the Guernsey Mint?

Schaublin wrote:I have and I do - see my avatar ;)
"There can be no other criterion, no other standard than gold. Yes, gold which never changes, which can be turned into ingots bars, coins, which has no nationality and which is eternally and universally accepted as the unalterable fiduciary value par excellence"

"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money, bets against 6,000 years of recorded human history."

Charles de Gaulle
User avatar
warpig
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster
Progress to next rank:
15.1%
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:46 am

Re: Why I like silver

Postby Schaublin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:59 am

warpig wrote:Good man, I wasn't sure if it was yours.

I want some more so I can build something out of them, I think 84 bars should do it.

Where did you get yours from, the Guernsey Mint?

Schaublin wrote:I have and I do - see my avatar ;)


The avatar pic is just something I found on google. Original purchaser bought from Guernsey mint a few years ago - someone else bought it privately. ;)

What are you going to build? You seem sure on the number so must have planned it!
User avatar
Schaublin
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
48.1%
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Why I like silver

Postby d2thdr » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:49 am

He might start building a miniature fort knox but with some real gold in it. :lol:
In the world today there are only three assets, gold, oil and currencies. The paper currencies, so long admired and accepted are now in a war of self destruction. They will consume each other in an end battle of "I'm the last man standing but have lost all use as a unit of value".
User avatar
d2thdr
Quarter Krug Member
Quarter Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
3.4%
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Why I like silver

Postby warpig » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:53 pm

I was thinking about a small BBQ. :)

Schaublin wrote:
warpig wrote:Good man, I wasn't sure if it was yours.

I want some more so I can build something out of them, I think 84 bars should do it.

Where did you get yours from, the Guernsey Mint?

Schaublin wrote:I have and I do - see my avatar ;)


The avatar pic is just something I found on google. Original purchaser bought from Guernsey mint a few years ago - someone else bought it privately. ;)

What are you going to build? You seem sure on the number so must have planned it!
"There can be no other criterion, no other standard than gold. Yes, gold which never changes, which can be turned into ingots bars, coins, which has no nationality and which is eternally and universally accepted as the unalterable fiduciary value par excellence"

"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money, bets against 6,000 years of recorded human history."

Charles de Gaulle
User avatar
warpig
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster
Progress to next rank:
15.1%
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:46 am

Re: Why I like silver

Postby grumpy-old-man » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:41 am

warpig wrote:Good post! As far as I'm concerned, the gold:silver ratio was based on the amount of each metal known to have existed in the Earth's crust. Now, unless you're going to include landfills in that estimation, I am 100% sure silver will go through price discovery, a lot of silver has simply been consumed. As it stands, it is not economical to recycle silver in anything but certain obvious industries (photography), this will have to change. Excuse the pun, but silver is a gold mine.

Incidentally, if you've ever held a 5KG bar silver you'll probably agree with me, you really feel like you've bought something special.


I only have the 1kg's & they are fairly heavy, well about 1kg actually..... :D
I prefer the older looking bars I have (incorrect delivery from CID) they don't have a serial number on like the rest (I posted a pic asking for clarification if you all remember?), but I do wonder when I come to sell them whether if it will cause any issues? I have all my original reciepts, that's why I bought them from a reputable dealer. I assume they will assay everything anyway when I decide to sell, reagrdless of my authenticity proof?

I have loads of coins, I thought they might be very useful for bartering/buying stuff when TSHTF.....the first batch came in those square plastic cases & are quite good actually, but the other batch came in those horrible plastic rolls (for want of a better term). I am tempted to buy some bead type tubes & rehouse these ?
User avatar
grumpy-old-man
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
19.6%
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:34 am

Re: Why I like silver

Postby fitkid » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:35 pm

Schaublin wrote:BTW, although this may be the worst possible place to ask - if anyone has any silver they want to swap for paper, PM me and we may be able to help each other out ;)


Lovin it schaublin more lines from your forthcoming opening at edinburgh fringe. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You could have at least tried to pull the wool over some novices eyes by anouncing that you would be interested in swapping any old bits of silvery shiny things for your pristine freshly printed straight from the bank irredeemable perpetual annuity bonds AKA FIAT CURRENCY. :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
fitkid
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
30.8%
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Re: Why I like silver

Postby fitkid » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:38 pm

grumpy-old-man wrote:
warpig wrote:Good post! As far as I'm concerned, the gold:silver ratio was based on the amount of each metal known to have existed in the Earth's crust. Now, unless you're going to include landfills in that estimation, I am 100% sure silver will go through price discovery, a lot of silver has simply been consumed. As it stands, it is not economical to recycle silver in anything but certain obvious industries (photography), this will have to change. Excuse the pun, but silver is a gold mine.

Incidentally, if you've ever held a 5KG bar silver you'll probably agree with me, you really feel like you've bought something special.


I only have the 1kg's & they are fairly heavy, well about 1kg actually..... :D
I prefer the older looking bars I have (incorrect delivery from CID) they don't have a serial number on like the rest (I posted a pic asking for clarification if you all remember?), but I do wonder when I come to sell them whether if it will cause any issues? I have all my original reciepts, that's why I bought them from a reputable dealer. I assume they will assay everything anyway when I decide to sell, reagrdless of my authenticity proof?

I have loads of coins, I thought they might be very useful for bartering/buying stuff when TSHTF.....the first batch came in those square plastic cases & are quite good actually, but the other batch came in those horrible plastic rolls (for want of a better term). I am tempted to buy some bead type tubes & rehouse these ?


Where did you buy your silver from Gom??
User avatar
fitkid
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
30.8%
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Re: Why I like silver

Postby Schaublin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:56 pm

fitkid wrote:
Schaublin wrote:BTW, although this may be the worst possible place to ask - if anyone has any silver they want to swap for paper, PM me and we may be able to help each other out ;)


Lovin it schaublin more lines from your forthcoming opening at edinburgh fringe. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You could have at least tried to pull the wool over some novices eyes by anouncing that you would be interested in swapping any old bits of silvery shiny things for your pristine freshly printed straight from the bank irredeemable perpetual annuity bonds AKA FIAT CURRENCY. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Well, although it was a bit tongue-in cheek, :D I know many on GEI are interested in gold/silver ratios and talk about swapping metals when they feel the time is right to do so. It seems to me that a forum like this is an ideal place to arrange physical swaps - and straight sales, avoiding any middle-men and far from the gaze of the state apparatchiks ;)

I am in the market for:

Swap fiat currency for silver

Swap gold for silver

Swap fiat currency for organic wheat germ (can't get it for love nor silver where I am)

Do get in touch!
User avatar
Schaublin
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
48.1%
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Why I like silver

Postby fexx » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:15 am

Schaublin wrote:BTW, although this may be the worst possible place to ask


I'd say pretty much 100% there!!!

Why not try a new TV ad campaign instead?

If you want, I could do a video for you - you know "Wow, This is amazing, I just sent 4 grands worth of worthless silver to Cash4Silver and they sent me this fantastic pile of Andrex!!!"
Disclaimer - I am not backed by anything.
User avatar
fexx
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
85.6%
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Why I like silver

Postby fexx » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:29 am

Schaublin wrote:
Well, although it was a bit tongue-in cheek, :D I know many on GEI are interested in gold/silver ratios and talk about swapping metals when they feel the time is right to do so. It seems to me that a forum like this is an ideal place to arrange physical swaps - and straight sales, avoiding any middle-men and far from the gaze of the state apparatchiks ;)


Seriously though, this could be a good idea (although many on this forum appear to have similar views, and would probably be playing the same ratio at the same time...).
Disclaimer - I am not backed by anything.
User avatar
fexx
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
85.6%
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Why I like silver

Postby fexx » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:31 am

....actually, Bubb might be interested at the moment!!
;)
Disclaimer - I am not backed by anything.
User avatar
fexx
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
85.6%
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Why I like silver

Postby Pixel8r » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:04 pm

Cool avatar Fexx!
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18512
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Why I like silver

Postby fexx » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:33 pm

Pixel8r wrote:Cool avatar Fexx!


Thanks Pixel, I particularly like the way it features Gordon Browns face.

Ideal gift for someone who fancies a bit of brown-on-brown action!!!!

:D :D :D
Disclaimer - I am not backed by anything.
User avatar
fexx
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
85.6%
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Why I like silver

Postby Pixel8r » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:43 pm

fexx wrote:
Pixel8r wrote:Cool avatar Fexx!


Thanks Pixel, I particularly like the way it features Gordon Browns face.

Ideal gift for someone who fancies a bit of brown-on-brown action!!!!

:D :D :D

Do you know where it can be bought, I would like to give some as christmas presents?
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18512
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Why I like silver

Postby fexx » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:52 pm

Pixel8r wrote:
fexx wrote:
Pixel8r wrote:Cool avatar Fexx!


Thanks Pixel, I particularly like the way it features Gordon Browns face.

Ideal gift for someone who fancies a bit of brown-on-brown action!!!!

:D :D :D

Do you know where it can be bought, I would like to give some as christmas presents?


£4.99 here;

http://www.giftmonger.com/acatalog/50_M ... Paper.html

but unfortunately out of stock. Seems very popular at the moment....
Disclaimer - I am not backed by anything.
User avatar
fexx
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
85.6%
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:17 am

Next

Return to Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests