Which upgrade Poll?

24Knews main news & discussion threads
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Which upgrade should I do?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:32 pm

v3.0.12 - Obsolete system remaining as is
33%
v3.1.2 - New advanced system, actively developed but lacking in certain features currently.
67%

Total votes : 6

Which upgrade Poll?

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:32 pm » Safari 8.0.2 Safari 8.0.2  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

I have explained the problems that the current site is having on this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1249&p=29991#p29991

Basically the new version of PHP is not compatible with this version of phpBB which is v3.0.11. I have two options, both will leave the system in different states.

1 - Upgrade to v3.0.12 - I have tried this before and it didn't go well due to the amount of modifications already made to the board, so I needed to roll back the code to the previous version. The database already thinks it is 3.0.12 but the code isn't. To do this upgrade I will need to do a full install of the system again and then apply each of the modifications manually to the code, which would probably take me at least a day. This could be done on the dev site and then the code copied over, so there would be no disruption to the site. The problem with this option is that it would take me a long time to do and then the site would be no longer be being developed as phpBB has moved over to a new much better system (which is option 2).

2 - Upgrade to v 3.1.2 - This is the new system which is a load better in a lots of ways. The site is responsive so it adapts to different devices, so easy to use on computers, tablets and phones. Modifications are no longer they are now called extensions, which are applied and managed automatically, along with system upgrades. This new version is being actively developed and is the future of phpBB. The problem with it currently is there isn't many of the features we have been used to available, namely the chat. The twitter feed was a custom modification that I made to the original code, that modification would not be compatible with the new code. That doesn't mean that it would be lost forever, would just mean it may take me a bit of time to get that part working again, as I would have to familiarise myself with the way the new system works before being able to modify it in a way that the system liked. The fancy editor would stay though as it has been already developed.

Please vote in the poll to help me decide which option is best for everyone, I promise that I would keep the existing threads for both options. This poll will run for 7 days and then I will do which ever option gets the most votes. :ugeek:
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Re: Which upgrade Poll?

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:49 pm » Safari 8.0.2 Safari 8.0.2  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Glad to see the new system option is winning currently. It makes a lot more sense to me as it will be a modern system which is easy to maintain, new features will arrive quickly to it and will take no time at all to add in when available. I seriously think future proof and low maintenance is the way to go. If we go for just upgrading the current system it will probably just stop working at some point and force us on to the new system anyway. It will be a lot less work for me to just move to the new system now.
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:35 am » Safari 8.0.2 Safari 8.0.2  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Another point to bear in mind is you will always be able to access the twitter feed just by clicking this link - https://twitter.com/24kFeed/lists/the-24knews-feed

I will of course endeavour to get it displayed on site at the first opportunity.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby headmelter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:01 am » Firefox 35.0 Firefox 35.0  Windows Seven 64 bits Windows Seven 64 bits  Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768 1366 x 768

Your explanation was fluent swahili to me....But I'm a confirmed technophobe & computer button presser....But I'm sure I could learn to navigate a new system... :)
headmelter
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
23.6%

Postby Pixel8r » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:57 am » Safari 8.0.2 Safari 8.0.2  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

headmelter ยป Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:01 am wrote:Your explanation was fluent swahili to me....But I'm a confirmed technophobe & computer button presser....But I'm sure I could learn to navigate a new system... :)

I think it would be very similar to the current in operation, just look a little different for a while. :thumbup:
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:06 pm » Safari 8.0.2 Safari 8.0.2  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Two days left to vote.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:36 pm » Safari 8.0.2 Safari 8.0.2  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Glad to see that those who have bothered to vote have picked the upgrade to the latest version. I will make it as painless as possible and will concentrate or adding our familiar features back in as soon as I can.

Will give everyone notice in this thread when I am going to have time to start making the changes. :thumbup:
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Return to Main Discussion Forum