Metal Detecting Thread. Find precious metals for free!

24Knews main news & discussion threads
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Metal Detecting Thread. Find precious metals for free!

Postby azazel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:24 pm

warpig wrote:Thanks. Just out of interest what does the minelab explorer 2 do that the garrett ace 250 doesn't? Do you own the land? This has been a bit of a problem for me and has hampered my enthusiasm to get out there...

BTW - It would be a good idea to start a thread on this, you have me as a contributor straight out of the gate.

The garrett ace is very good especially for finding coins. It is not so good at excluding iron and finding smaller, deeper items but is light and easier on the arms. It is either a yes or no machine (it chimes when it detects something) where the minelab you can hear faint signals (fainter and louder notes of various pitches, sounds like a flute), and it works better on the beach. I will not sell the garrett detector as it is great at the park finding coins and the kids can use it with me. I would not bother buying a mine lab new as they are expensive but I do prefer to use it. I also have a garrett pinpointer probe which I would not be without.

Regarding the land, no I dont own it unfortunately! I live in the country surrounded by farmland and the farmer said I could go in any of his fields. He has alot of pasture land that has been undisturbed but I have so far found coins dating back to 1700 and victorian, edwardian etc. Its not far from a big stately house so hopefully I will find some sovereigns that some toff lost when out hunting.I have other farmers that have given me permission which is mainly unexplored and a freind who has about 10 acres where I found some nice shillings. So Im ok for land to search.

What metal detector do you have and do you live in the city so have trouble finding land to search?
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Re: Metal Detecting Thread. Find precious metals for free!

Postby warpig » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks for that, it's interesting to know how you're getting on with it. I also have the Garrett Ace 250, which was recommended to me by the shop as the best all rounder at a good price. He didn't have anything bad to say about it at all and on the Garrett website there's lots of major treasure trove success stories with it, so it seemed like a winner.

I was thinking about putting the metal detector in gold/silver mode only because of the amount of ferrous metal in the ground, it's like every few yards just about, which is fine if you want to find old nails, rusty hammers and beer cans but I have higher aspirations than this! In the few times I've been out I haven't found anything of interest in terms of history or value, but I have been detecting in places where you wouldn't expect to either. I bought it because I thought it would be a good thing to do with my son, but he was too young to really appreciate it until recently, he's just turned 5.

No I'm out in the country as well, surrounded by farm land, but I haven't approached a farmer or anyone else, for fear of being sent on my way with my tail between my legs. I might have it wrong, but I can imagine farmers are pestered by metal detectors or night hawks all the time, perhaps not... It sounds like you've done well and you have lots of places to go, which is something I should work on really...

How strategic are you with the places you choose to metal detect? I'd like to pinpoint places of historical importance, as it seems more likely you'll find something to put a smile on your face. Have you taken it this far (yet)?

This Torc was found at Newark by a metal detector, can you imagine finding something like this, it would blow my mind.

"There can be no other criterion, no other standard than gold. Yes, gold which never changes, which can be turned into ingots bars, coins, which has no nationality and which is eternally and universally accepted as the unalterable fiduciary value par excellence"

"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money, bets against 6,000 years of recorded human history."

Charles de Gaulle
warpig
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster
Progress to next rank:
15.1%

Postby azazel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:36 am

The ace 250 is excellent and only costs £180ish. The minelab cost £1200 and is heavy. Yesteday I was out with my 8 year old daughter she detected some thing with the 250 (set to ignor iron etc first 3 blocks on the left) so I went over it with minelab and mine said there was nothing there. We dug it up and it was an old rusted iron nail. You do still dig rusted iron with the mine lab but it is better at discriminating against it. Im glad i didnt get the 150 as the pinpointer on the 250 is very good.

With one farmer who is a cider producer, I asked him if he wanted some apples from my orchard. When he said yes, I said in return would you mind if I went metal detecting on your land. The other farmer who has all the land around me, I was detecting in one of his fields without permission and he came over and said he didnt mind me going anywhere in his fields.

What you could try is try to get chatting with him and then ask him if theres a corner of a field, somewhere you could go detecting with your son for a bit of fun. He may say "sure, go in any of them".

Some land is very contaminated and I guess you just set the detector accordingly, but farmland is more likely to be clean in my experience. I go anywhere but I found the old coin yeasterday closer to the historic house. I havent found any gold yet though. Where abouts do you live?

Be back at lunch time! Az
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:21 pm

I am finding this thread very interesting and am considering getting into detecting as well. Which website would you use for buying equipment?
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby azazel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:51 pm

I think I bought my garrett ace 250 new on ebay, but regtons and joan allen are also a good place. They cost about £180 new and £100 used.

http://www.regton.com/
http://www.joanallen.co.uk/
http://www.detector-distribution.co.uk

One of the things I like about metal detecting is getting out in the peaceful contryside, I sometimes have radio four in my earphone, and just get away from things. Its a bit like fishing.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby warpig » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:57 pm

That was the point the bloke in the metal detecting shop made to me, he said for under £300 there's nothing better in terms of value for money. I'm happy with the 250 for now.

I think you're right, I need to bite the bullet and approach the local farmers... The only thing is the land around here is owned by the Rothchild family... I joke not! :) I'll let you know how I get on.

I live between Peterborough and Northampton in the East Midlands, aren't you on the SE coast somewhere?

Do you have any pictures to share of anything you've found?

azazel wrote:The ace 250 is excellent and only costs £180ish. The minelab cost £1200 and is heavy. Yesteday I was out with my 8 year old daughter she detected some thing with the 250 (set to ignor iron etc first 3 blocks on the left) so I went over it with minelab and mine said there was nothing there. We dug it up and it was an old rusted iron nail. You do still dig rusted iron with the mine lab but it is better at discriminating against it. Im glad i didnt get the 150 as the pinpointer on the 250 is very good.

With one farmer who is a cider producer, I asked him if he wanted some apples from my orchard. When he said yes, I said in return would you mind if I went metal detecting on your land. The other farmer who has all the land around me, I was detecting in one of his fields without permission and he came over and said he didnt mind me going anywhere in his fields.

What you could try is try to get chatting with him and then ask him if theres a corner of a field, somewhere you could go detecting with your son for a bit of fun. He may say "sure, go in any of them".

Some land is very contaminated and I guess you just set the detector accordingly, but farmland is more likely to be clean in my experience. I go anywhere but I found the old coin yeasterday closer to the historic house. I havent found any gold yet though. Where abouts do you live?

Be back at lunch time! Az
"There can be no other criterion, no other standard than gold. Yes, gold which never changes, which can be turned into ingots bars, coins, which has no nationality and which is eternally and universally accepted as the unalterable fiduciary value par excellence"

"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money, bets against 6,000 years of recorded human history."

Charles de Gaulle
warpig
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster
Progress to next rank:
15.1%

Postby warpig » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:02 pm

I can't be 100% sure, but I think I bought from Regton as well. I've just done a quick google and I saw it for around £140 somewhere, which is pretty cheap IMO.

Pixel8r wrote:I am finding this thread very interesting and am considering getting into detecting as well. Which website would you use for buying equipment?
Last edited by warpig on Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles de Gaulle
warpig
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster
Progress to next rank:
15.1%

Postby azazel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:20 pm

I would definately include a garrett pinpoint probe as part of the purchase. It makes finding the object in the hole or dirt pile really easy. I have a metal detecting thread on GEI* which has some pictures of my finds, will but not the 5 shilling 1804 coin I found yesterday. I will have a go at posting a picture of it later this evening. Im going out detecting again this afternoon, as its sunny here in Devon where I live. Its a shame you dont live nearer Piggy, as you could have come out with me on my land.

* Ive been evicted, thrown out of GEI by Romans Holiday, so I doubt I will spend much time there in the future as DrBubb needs to sort out his moderator problems. IMO of course...
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby warpig » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:50 pm

I didn't realise you had a thread @ GEI or I would have joined in. Yeh it's a shame I would have met up with you, it's always better to share your hobby and a beer with someone. Likewise, I was thinking about having a go here today, as there is an old stream that cut it's way through the garden (now dried up), maybe there's something at the bottom of it... :) I'll post pictures of my iron age gold torc when I find it!!!

Sorry to hear that! I'm waiting to get banned myself, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Charles de Gaulle
warpig
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster
Progress to next rank:
15.1%

Postby warpig » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:01 pm

I forgot to ask, I presume you've agreed a 50/50 split with the farmers, but do you know what the situation is on public (council owned) land? Is it still 50/50?

Charles de Gaulle
warpig
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster
Progress to next rank:
15.1%

Postby Pixel8r » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:09 pm

azazel wrote:One of the things I like about metal detecting is getting out in the peaceful contryside, I sometimes have radio four in my earphone, and just get away from things. Its a bit like fishing.

I get loads of that anyway walking my 2 year old beagle, gives me a chance to catch up on some podcasts off my iPhone.

Thanks for the links.
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby azazel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:37 pm

warpig wrote:I forgot to ask, I presume you've agreed a 50/50 split with the farmers, but do you know what the situation is on public (council owned) land? Is it still 50/50?

If I found something awsome I would split 50/50 but anything else is mine. The council are unlikely to let you detect on "their" or should I say our land for various reasons. So you just have to do it without permission and say sorry if you get confronted in my opinion. Ive been seen off by the council, 2 old ladys and the police. Parks are excellent for finding coins. My local one had a coin every 1m and I still havent finished there either. Park attendants seem to check the park out in the mornings so the best time to go is in the evenings. If youu wear a florecent yellow jacket people think you are offical. Mock up a council park metal detector officer ID and you will be OK. If you find something very valuable it would be best to keep it quiet (at least where you found it) as the land owner might come after you for it.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby warpig » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Understood! :)

I went metal detecting earlier and I think all of my hits were little copper BB's from my airgun. I'll have to wait until I cut the grass in the spring and try again.

I've ordered my high visibility jacket. :lol:

azazel wrote:If I found something awsome I would split 50/50 but anything else is mine. The council are unlikely to let you detect on "their" or should I say our land for various reasons. So you just have to do it without permission and say sorry if you get confronted in my opinion. Ive been seen off by the council, 2 old ladys and the police. Parks are excellent for finding coins. My local one had a coin every 1m and I still havent finished there either. Park attendants seem to check the park out in the mornings so the best time to go is in the evenings. If youu wear a florecent yellow jacket people think you are offical. Mock up a council park metal detector officer ID and you will be OK. If you find something very valuable it would be best to keep it quiet (at least where you found it) as the land owner might come after you for it.

Charles de Gaulle
warpig
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster
Progress to next rank:
15.1%

Postby azazel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Ive just been out this sunny afternoon with my metal detector and a bottle of beer and found this lovely victorian half crown. Its the first time it has seen the light of day in 100 years. What a pleasant afternoon!
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:30 pm

The other day I found another nice coin in the same field, about 50m away from the half crown. Its a 5 shilling 1804 dollar bank of england bank token. There was a shortage of silver back then and so the British robbed a load of spanish coins and re stamped them with bank of england. Not much has changed over the last 200 years. Theres still a shortage of silver and the bank of england is still robbing. I may have told you about it before, but here are the photos.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:36 pm

These are some of the items I found previously. I still havent found any gold. Im looking forward to that day!

This is what I believe to be a bronze age axe head, quite worn, but i bet it could tell a story...

bullets etc...

Old coins, very old ones at the front...

three silver shillings, nice...... :) I also found 2 shillings & 1/2 crown, pre 1947, but I threw them in the pile with the others....

nice pre 1920 sixpence found by my son. Its amazing how these coins can lie in the ground for 100 years and look almost as good as the day they were lost..

scrap silver....

Modern money, about £75. Im looking forward to finding a victim to spend this lot on....Still havent decided who yet....:)
[/quote]
Last edited by azazel on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby fwiw » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:37 pm

azazel wrote:Ive just been out this sunny afternoon with my metal detector and a bottle of beer and found this lovely victorian half crown. Its the first time it has seen the light of day in 100 years. What a pleasant afternoon!

Very, very nice find! This is what makes PMs so much fun! Have you found any gold ones? If there were fields near me I would take up Metal Detecting as a hobby! :D
There is no SPOON deflation.
fwiw
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
52.5%

Postby azazel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:39 pm

No still havent found gold. I live in hope!

Ive just noticed, at the bottom of the half crown between the dates is the george and dragon like on a sovereign and crown.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:50 pm

azazel wrote:Ive just been out this sunny afternoon with my metal detector and a bottle of beer and found this lovely victorian half crown. Its the first time it has seen the light of day in 100 years. What a pleasant afternoon!

Nice find :thumbup:
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby warpig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:07 pm

Cool, nice finds. Thanks for posting these! I'll post pictures of all the copper BB's from my garden that I found... :lol:

Charles de Gaulle
warpig
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster
Progress to next rank:
15.1%

Next

Return to Main Discussion Forum