Metal Detecting Thread. Find precious metals for free!

24Knews main news & discussion threads
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Re: Metal Detecting Thread. Find precious metals for free!

Postby id5 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:16 pm

azazel wrote:Ive not been out for a while but now the weather is looking nice, I thought I try my luck. I found this silver hammered 3 pence dated 1575. It has some nice details. Im not sure on value, £100 maybe?

Very pretty azazel, it doesn't look too bad at all for a field find, don't clean it though, just give it a gentle brush.

Can you tell me what the diameter is?
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy and we used to call them astronomical numbers, now they are just economical numbers
id5
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
42.2%

Postby azazel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Its about 18mm. The detail on the shield side is very good but the head is not so clear. I suspect that it never had a good impression on the head side. I wont be cleaning it any more than I already have. Id love to find a nice hammered gold coin.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby wee Jinky » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:57 am

Looks a fantastic find
had a scuttle around tinternet coin valuation sites but came up blank on that particular coin
but I would think its worth more than the £100 you quoted
:thumbup:
wee Jinky
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
1.4%

Postby azazel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks weejinky. I think they are undervalued even at £100. What can £100 buy you today? To be fair, many medieval hammered coins are worn and nice ones are rare. I'm surprised the collectors don't drive the prices higher.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Yesterday, I was told I was not allowed to metal detect on the fields that I have been on for the last few years, by the land owners "man". I only had permission from the tenant farmer. In a way it has done me a favour as there isn't really much in those fields as Ive done them all already. Better to get booted out at the end than the beginning! So Ive gone down the road and asked another farmer and he kindly said I could search on his land. The chances are I will be the first to have ever used a metal detector on his land and who knows what I might find. Anything worthwhile, and I will post it here.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby id5 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:51 am

azazel wrote:Its about 18mm. The detail on the shield side is very good but the head is not so clear. I suspect that it never had a good impression on the head side. I wont be cleaning it any more than I already have. Id love to find a nice hammered gold coin.

I think that your last three finds of are worth recording, especially the last. You might want to send them to The Portable Antiquities Scheme, http://finds.org.uk/
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy and we used to call them astronomical numbers, now they are just economical numbers
id5
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
42.2%

Postby azazel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:10 pm

Check this one out then, I just found it in my new fields. I have 180 acres to search and this was in the first hole! Sadly the other 50 weren't quite as good....

Its an Elizabeth 1 shilling about 1560. Has a diameter of 32mm and weighs 5.88 grams of silver. I may have damaged it digging it out as the ground was quite stoney, so Im more than a bit gutted about that.. :violin: .Still, its a lovely sunny day and I really enjoy being out in the fields with a beer, radio and a metal detector. :crazy:
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:29 pm

This is a bronze age axe head I found in a ploughed field dated around 1500 bc, 3500 years old. One of my favorite finds.

azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby id5 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:45 pm

azazel wrote:Check this one out then, I just found it in my new fields. I have 180 acres to search and this was in the first hole! Sadly the other 50 weren't quite as good....
Its an Elizabeth 1 shilling about 1560. Has a diameter of 32mm and weighs 5.88 grams of silver. I may have damaged it digging it out as the ground was quite stoney, so Im more than a bit gutted about that.. :violin: .Still, its a lovely sunny day and I really enjoy being out in the fields with a beer, radio and a metal detector. :crazy:

An amzining hobby you have there azazel, this and your axe head plus the others must really give you a sense of satisfaction :)
id5
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
42.2%

Postby azazel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:02 pm

I still havent worked out exactly what this coin is. It weighs about 15.2 grams and is clearly silver. I found it in a pasture field near a gate. I think its French.

ImageImage
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby triple-agent » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:49 pm

triple-agent
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
70.7%

Postby wee Jinky » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:47 am

Just borrowed my neighbours Garret Ace 250 and done a quick sweep of my garden
so far I have found - 2 nails , a tin foil lid, a 2 oz lump of molten iron, 2 brass fittings, a copper nut and 50c (euro)
Really should get headphones as the beeping is driving the dog next door nutz . Having fun tho :thumbup:
wee Jinky
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
1.4%

Postby wee Jinky » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Ive just added 2 more nails ,10c,20c, and a Belgian 5 francs coin
dug down 6 inches and found a tin foil dish as well (that was a pisser)
ah well off to collect mother in law from Brussels airport ,2 weeks of eating like a king
but with the sex life of a monk to look forward to
wee Jinky
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
1.4%

Postby wee Jinky » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Well my garden is beginning to resemble the Somme ,Im digging more holes than my resident mole
little bvgger has evaded all attempts to drive him back into the field behind
This is an addictive hobby ,I live on an old Roman road so you never know
I may have to start asking the local farmers for permission to detect on their land shortly
anyway today turned up another 10c but my first old coin was uncovered
a 1centime ,its very badly worn and I cant differentiate between the 5 versions listed here
pretty worthless but it gives me hope of finding something even better next time
http://en.numista.com/catalogue/belgique-1.html

any tips on cleaning it up enough to identify it?
wee Jinky
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
1.4%

Postby id5 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:25 am

wee Jinky wrote:Well my garden is beginning to resemble the Somme …
any tips on cleaning it up enough to identify it?

All you need to do is gently rub the coin with your fingers under running water to remove mud and grit, you should never do this with a brush or a cloth because you cannot feel what you are rubbing, that feel of grit allows you to lighten the pressure. Just use a very simple soap if the dirt is mixed with oils then but rinse it thoroughly because some soaps are oxygenators and the residue will affect the silver over a longer term. Once done seal the coin with a small amount of vegetable oil to keep oxygen away from the coin and stop further discoloration.
id5
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
42.2%

Postby azazel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:19 am » Firefox 10.0 Firefox 10.0  Windows Seven 64 bits Windows Seven 64 bits  Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768 1366 x 768

This is my home made sluice box thingy which cost me less than £5 for the mesh and all the other stuff I had already. Its made from some extractor ducting, with some coarse ridged nylon carpet and galvanized mesh held in place with the two side battens which are easily removed with the little handles, as are the ribs. The carpet slides out easily and can then be rinsed out to see if I have any particles of shiny stuff (which I doubt, so I wont be that disappointed!) I will then need to pan the residue to recover any gold which I will do at home I think. I don't have a proper pan so I will use the wife's wok for now. At least I can claim to have done some washing up today. The river has some quartz in it and gold has been found in the area but not in commercially viable quantities. http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Dev ... nshire.htm There is a fine sand and gravel bank which I am going to target, which gets deposited when the river floods, which it often does, and the water moves very fast through the winding river which is full of boulders. So the plan is to set the sluice box up in the river with water flowing through it and to shovel the sand and gravel into the mouth of the sluice. The water then washes it through the sluice box, tumbling it over the ridges and mesh, washing all the sand right through it but leaving the fine and heavier sediments and gold trapped in the carpet. You have to adjust the water flow so its neither to fast or slow.

ImageImageImage

Even if I don't find anything, it will be fun. It may require trying different places before I get any results. I will post images of the misson later, unless I get swept away!
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby fexx » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:50 am » Safari 6.0.1 Safari 6.0.1  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 1440 x 900 1440 x 900

You probably know about this az, but I found this discussion about gold panning on a metal detecting forum;

http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... =10&t=3096
Disclaimer - I am not backed by anything.
fexx
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
85.6%

Postby ShayneThill » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:48 am » Firefox 23.0 Firefox 23.0  Windows XP Windows XP  Screen Resolution: 1440 x 900 1440 x 900

I got a good metal detector but I got no valuable metal detecting finds.
Random avatar
ShayneThill
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
6%

Postby ShayneThill » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:21 am » Firefox 23.0 Firefox 23.0  Windows XP Windows XP  Screen Resolution: 1440 x 900 1440 x 900

ShayneThill » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:48 am wrote:I got a good metal detector but I got no valuable metal detecting finds.

Anyone can tell me why?
Random avatar
ShayneThill
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
6%

Postby triple-agent » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:21 am » Safari Mobile 4.0 Safari Mobile 4.0  Android Android  Screen Resolution: 860 x 1078 860 x 1078

Did you switch it on?
triple-agent
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
70.7%

Previous

Return to Main Discussion Forum