Metal Detecting Thread. Find precious metals for free!

24Knews main news & discussion threads
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Re: Metal Detecting Thread. Find precious metals for free!

Postby Ziknik » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:30 pm

azazel wrote:They could be coke or iron related. Sometimes when metal detecting, I get a signal and dig it up and it disappears. Turns out to be iron rich coke which was used to fire a steam engine which was doing some agricultural work in the field. In a large lump the detector recognises it as metal but not in smaller bits. You could check your bits for magnetism. I only say this as you found them in the coal. They could also be metal that has been thrown in the fire and melted into blobs. It doesnt explain the softness of them.

One of the guys at work said, "Some A-Hole probably stole some uranium from somewhere and threw it on the fire believing it was the fuel of the future". :?

They are non magnetic btw.

I'm trying to find my soldering Iron to see if they melt.
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%

Postby Ziknik » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:39 pm

They don't melt.

I've not been able to measure the density as I don't have an accurate measuring jugs.

And I can't get a sample of the lead pipe as I might shut off the water supply to my house.

I think cash for gold is the best way forward.
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%

Postby azazel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:29 pm

Bash one with a hammer to see how soft it is. Fill up your car at Tesco and see if they will barter them :)
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:13 pm

I have written up some notes on which to base my story on the radio.

I recently filled my car up at the supermarket garage with fuel at a cost of £95. When I went to pay with coins I was told that they would not accept them as it was unreasonable to pay such a high amount in coins and they were tarnished. I had no other payment so they said I had to leave my details or they would phone the police as I was refusing to pay. I was not refusing to pay and the coins I had were £85 in £1 coins £4 in £2 coins and the remainder in other coins. I also had a £5 coin. This falls under the "legal tender" definition set out on the Bank of England’s website. The manager said some could be fake even though he had not even opened the little bags they were in to look at them and there were no grounds to think they were fake. They said I had to prove that the coins are not fakes. I refused to give my details and they called the police who said that I had to give my details or they would arrest me for trying to obtain goods by deception. They were just trying to scare me into cooperating and give my details. I was told one of them has a Taser! I gave my details so as leave but have not yet paid. I have tried to pay again using my legal tender coins but again they were rejected. The coins were found with a metal detector so they were tarnished but they were clean. I feel this raises various issues.

• Has the coin had its day when you can’t use them to pay for a tank of fuel which is admittedly very expensive now due to inflation and devaluation of our currency?

• Has counterfeiting undermined trust in our currency?

• Do I have to prove that the coins are not fake? What happened to innocent until proved guilty and exactly how do I prove they are not fake. (The lady who initially served me used a weighing machine to count them into 25 so the weight was correct)

• Does the garage have a right to reject the coins if they are legal tender and are valid and legal for paying a debt and am I obliged to use some other type of payment?

• Why should I have to give my personal details to Tesco when I have a legal and valid form of payment but they do not like it and is it appropriate for Tescos to phone the police?

• Is it lawful for the police to arrest me for trying to obtain goods by deception when my means of payment are legal and valid?

• Will the decision by the government to make all coins starting with the 5p and 10p out of steel result in rusty money that will be rejected as a means of payment?

• If Tesco would have accepted my coinage in the automatic checkouts, then why wont they over the counter?

Why am I doing this? What is the point?

It’s a lawful protest against the debasement of our currency.

The reason why my coins have been rejected is because of the policy of debasement of our currency. The debasement has caused an inflation of prices requiring a large pile of coins to pay for everyday items such as fuel. The debasement has made it economically necessary to make the coins from metals that decay, and they now plan to make them all out of steel which can go rusty. The policy steals from the people’s savings and labour as the purchasing power of their money declines. Over a period of 100 years, we have gone from using silver and gold to base metals, paper and now digital money. The Bank of England has a record low base rate and is printing hundreds of billions of pounds in a deliberate attempt to devalue the currency further. This will likely end in hyperinflation, or total theft of savings and labour. Because the change is gradual most people do not see it or understand. Old people who worked hard all their life and their descendants are having their hard work stolen from them and the incessant economic activity required to pay debt is ruining the world we live in.

I would encourage people to pay for their petrol and diesel in as many coins as possible making sure that you are within the legal tender limits.

£5, £2, £1 no limits
50p, 20p up to £10
10p, 5p up to £5
2p & 1p up to 20 pence.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby Ziknik » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:42 pm

azazel wrote:I refused to give my details and they called the police who said that I had to give my details or they would arrest me for trying to obtain goods by deception. They were just trying to scare me into cooperating and give my details. I was told one of them has a Taser!

Oh man, you’ve no idea how much my blood in boiling right now.

[Insert comment about ‘Raul Moat’ here]

Anyway, back on subject, your write up for the radio is good. Personally I would tone down the last parts about protesting. Then I would go back to Tesco, fill my car again and try to pay with the same coins.

You should get some good advice off the people who phone in.

I think Tesco haven’t a leg to stand on here. I would take them for all the free fuel I could get. I might do the same myself. This is going to be like taking candy from a baby.

F**K it, I’m going to get £60 in change right now and go to Tesco!

(My tank is a tiddler compare to yours)
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%

Postby azazel » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:06 pm

Hahha, I just did it again. This time I went to the post office and got £200 in new coins. I went down and filled up 3 x 20 litre cans and the car tank. The maximum amount of fuel is 100 litres and the bill was £133.90. Went in and tha chap said "pump 2? £133.90". So I poured all my coins out on the counter. He said he was getting the manager who came over all angry and said they were not prepared to accept the coins as there is too many of them. The took my details and because I had no ID, they phoned the police to verify my ID. The police said its not a police matter, a waste of police time and "no, they would not verify my details" I also got the manager to write what his objection was to my coins on the back of the slip as I think its important to get his objection in writing as I know its not lawful.

Im now banned from my local Tesco petrol station, and Ive been told that if I do it again it will be theft. Its a good job I dont like them anyway.

"Every little helps" thats what I say....
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby Ziknik » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:11 pm

azazel wrote:Hahha, I just did it again. This time I went to the post office and got £200 in new coins. I went down and filled up 3 x 20 litre cans and the car tank. The maximum amount of fuel is 100 litres and the bill was £133.90. Went in and tha chap said "pump 2? £133.90". So I poured all my coins out on the counter. He said he was getting the manager who came over all angry and said they were not prepared to accept the coins as there is too many of them. The took my details and because I had no ID, they phoned the police to verify my ID. The police said its not a police matter, a waste of police time and "no, they would not verify my details" I also got the manager to write what his objection was to my coins on the back of the slip as I think its important to get his objection in writing as I know its not lawful.

Im now banned from my local Tesco petrol station, and Ive been told that if I do it again it will be theft. Its a good job I dont like them anyway.

Excellent. You’re legally in a strong position and they cannot sue you. BUT personally, I would offer to make the payment in the same coins if the manager comes to your home at your convenience to collect the payment.

I’ve nailed Tesco for 9 pence today!

This is how I got on:

1. I went to the staff canteen expecting to get as many £££ coins as I wanted. I stormed off in a huff when they turned me away. I don’t know what I was thinking going there for change in the first place. I didn’t even have any paper money to exchange for the coins! I was so pee’d off earlier I completely forgot my common sense.

2. I went to Barclays. I forgot to take my debit card with me. I had no ID other than the card I use at work. I know my sort code and account number and I was able to answer all the security questions. They gave me £40 as I told them I need fuel for my car to get home (which was true, so I wasn’t really lying). She gave me a weird look when I said I wanted it all in £ coins.

3. I went to Tesco to fuel up and I went over the £40 by 9 pence. I felt soooooooooooo embarrassed going in to the kiosk knowing I didn’t have the money to pay. I said, “I’m very sorry I only have £40”. She didn’t say anything but I knew she was thinking “nobb‘ed”. I was too scared to make eye contact with her. I pulled out a bag of £ coins, my hand was shaking with embarrassment. I counted them in to a stack £5, I put down another 3 stacks of £5 and then I pulled out another bag of £1 coins. She said “Don’t worry about counting it”. And then she said “and forget about the 9 pence”.

So the conclusion is: I am super hot and ALL women fall at my feet (except that fishwife in the canteen who’s probably a man in a dress anyway).

I don’t want to try this trick again. It might shatter my new belief that ALL women find me irresistible.

Is anyone else going to have a go at this?
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%

Postby warpig » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Nope... :)
"There can be no other criterion, no other standard than gold. Yes, gold which never changes, which can be turned into ingots bars, coins, which has no nationality and which is eternally and universally accepted as the unalterable fiduciary value par excellence"

"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money, bets against 6,000 years of recorded human history."

Charles de Gaulle
warpig
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster
Progress to next rank:
15.1%

Postby azazel » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:45 pm

Ziknik wrote:
azazel wrote:Hahha, I just did it again. This time I went to the post office and got £200 in new coins. I went down and filled up 3 x 20 litre cans and the car tank. The maximum amount of fuel is 100 litres and the bill was £133.90. Went in and tha chap said "pump 2? £133.90". So I poured all my coins out on the counter. He said he was getting the manager who came over all angry and said they were not prepared to accept the coins as there is too many of them. The took my details and because I had no ID, they phoned the police to verify my ID. The police said its not a police matter, a waste of police time and "no, they would not verify my details" I also got the manager to write what his objection was to my coins on the back of the slip as I think its important to get his objection in writing as I know its not lawful.

Excellent. You’re legally in a strong position and they cannot sue you. BUT personally, I would offer to make the payment in the same coins if the manager comes to your home at your convenience to collect the payment.

I’ve nailed Tesco for 9 pence today!

This is how I got on:

1. I went to the staff canteen expecting to get as many £££ coins as I wanted. I stormed off in a huff when they turned me away. I don’t know what I was thinking going there for change in the first place. I didn’t even have any paper money to exchange for the coins! I was so pee’d off earlier I completely forgot my common sense.

2. I went to Barclays. I forgot to take my debit card with me. I had no ID other than the card I use at work. I know my sort code and account number and I was able to answer all the security questions. They gave me £40 as I told them I need fuel for my car to get home (which was true, so I wasn’t really lying). She gave me a weird look when I said I wanted it all in £ coins.

3. I went to Tesco to fuel up and I went over the £40 by 9 pence. I felt soooooooooooo embarrassed going in to the kiosk knowing I didn’t have the money to pay. I said, “I’m very sorry I only have £40”. She didn’t say anything but I knew she was thinking “nobb‘ed”. I was too scared to make eye contact with her. I pulled out a bag of £ coins, my hand was shaking with embarrassment. I counted them in to a stack £5, I put down another 3 stacks of £5 and then I pulled out another bag of £1 coins. She said “Don’t worry about counting it”. And then she said “and forget about the 9 pence”.

So the conclusion is: I am super hot and ALL women fall at my feet (except that fishwife in the canteen who’s probably a man in a dress anyway).

I don’t want to try this trick again. It might shatter my new belief that ALL women find me irresistible.

Is anyone else going to have a go at this?

LOL I never laughed so much!! I must admit I was pretty scared and shaking and it tooks some courage. Yes I also felt an idiot doing it but its lawful and permissable so if there is anything wrong its the law itself. You really need to have about £100 starting with 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p all up to the lawful legal limits and then £1 coins as many as nessarsary. Then mix them all up well. Thanks for giving it a go though Ziknik. If every one had a go they would have to change the rules to reflect the "suprising" inflation. Just think if a tank of fuel costs £500 and its lawfull to pay in coins. Ive just spoken with the producer on the Jeremy Vine show and she said they were interested in running the story but she needs to get her bosses aproval.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:02 pm

These are the pictures of the coins in question.

These are the new coins I got from the post office and they refused these because there was too many of them.

These are the metal detecting coins I tried to use the other night and they refused as they were tarnished and too many of them.

azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby Ziknik » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:34 pm

azazel wrote:Bash one with a hammer to see how soft it is. Fill up your car at Tesco and see if they will barter them :)

I've got 4 of them now. I'm struggling to find the time to do anything with them. I will try to bash one this weekend and submerge another in bleech

azazel wrote:Im now banned from my local Tesco petrol station, and Ive been told that if I do it again it will be theft. Its a good job I dont like them anyway.

I missed this on my previous read. My blood has only just stopped boiling from earlier.

1. It's not your responsibility to enforce their ban.

2. The Tesco Pump Manager is not the judge and jury. He does not decide if you have committed theft, the courts will decide (in your favour).

azazel wrote:Image

To be fair, I would have rejected those coins too. I'd take one of them as payment but not a hand or bag full of them
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%

Postby Ignorance Was Bliss » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:39 pm

Ziknik wrote:
azazel wrote:Bash one with a hammer to see how soft it is. Fill up your car at Tesco and see if they will barter them :)

I've got 4 of them now. I'm struggling to find the time to do anything with them. I will try to bash one this weekend and submerge another in bleech

azazel wrote:Im now banned from my local Tesco petrol station, and Ive been told that if I do it again it will be theft. Its a good job I dont like them anyway.

I missed this on my previous read. My blood has only just stopped boiling from earlier.

1. It's not your responsibility to enforce their ban.

2. The Tesco Pump Manager is not the judge and jury. He does not decide if you have committed theft, the courts will decide (in your favour).

azazel wrote:Image

To be fair, I would have rejected those coins too. I'd take one of them as payment but not a hand or bag full of them

Interesting thread guys, I haven't laughed so hard in ages. Sorry Azazel, but I've got to side with Ziknik on these detector found coins. I would accept perhaps £10's worth, but £130..... :lol: I always use the coin counting machine in Asda, costs 8% I think and some will go into the fruit machine down the local. Feels abit like money laundering, I put all my crappy, tarnished £1 coins in and win shiny, new ones. I know it's all legal tender, but retailers really don't like them in bulk.

I use a Garrett Ace 250, as well. I have only used it on the beaches so far, found loads of modern coinage-plucking up the courage to go to the local park and incur the wrath of the jobsworths and meddling busybodies.
To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant - Amos Bronson Alcott

When you combine ignorance and leverage, you get some pretty interesting results - Warren Buffett
Ignorance Was Bliss
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
64%

Postby azazel » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi Ignorance was bliss. It all depends on if there is a debt or not. Check out the wiki article on legal tender http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender "anything other than an offered payment for debts already incurred, would not be effective." They do not have to sell me anything if they dont like my coins but when I filled my car they have no way of taking it back so I owe them a debt. My coins,even though they are tarnished, are "valid for meeting a financial obligation" so they are obligated to accept them. Besides, they also rejected my shiny coins too.

The ace 250 is very effective and my other detector, the minelab explorer really isnt that much better and is much heavier. It might be better on the beach, but I have not tried it yet.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby Ignorance Was Bliss » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:36 am

Yes, I totally agree with you, if Tesco are unwilling to accept legal tender for your purchase then it is their loss. The petrol filling scenario is relatively unique because the act of consumerism cannot be reversed, a similar analogy would be consuming food in a restaurant, the bill is presented after the act of consumption, the food cannot be unconsumed and so the onus is surely on the proprietor as to whether they want to take the hit or accept your legal but inconvenient payment. As a previous poster suggested, the question is whether legal tender HAS to be accepted, but you are 'offering payment' so your in the right again, I think.
To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant - Amos Bronson Alcott

When you combine ignorance and leverage, you get some pretty interesting results - Warren Buffett
Ignorance Was Bliss
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
64%

Postby azazel » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:21 pm

azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:51 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b0 ... nte_granny

I went on the Jeremy Vine show today in relation to the Tesco diesel for coins.

forward to 1:40
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby Hooloovoo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm surprised that the host didn't dwell more on that the police got involved - that is completely out of bounce.
If You want to get away from the Police State and experience personal freedom in using legal tender coins You should move to my side of the Iron Curtain :D

I tried You coin trick with this lot:
I had no difficulties what so ever paying 240 rubles in coins in our local shop - and the shop assistant even thanked me for the purchase after she had finished counting the coins (although to be honest she didn't look like she meant it :D )

The bigger denomination coins where the most popular though, so I was still stuck with the small ones - until I came back to the shop a couple of days later and bought 2 packs of cigarettes (70 rubles) with 10 and 50 kopek coins - again without any difficulties, although this time I didn't get a "thank you" after paying.

Personally I don't like to walk with coins, so I always unload them when I get home - hence quite large sums eventually build up, and Your experience was a push for me to finally put my coins to use.
A pitty we don't have Tesco in Russia - but I think they would accept them if they were. It's legal tender after all, and what if it takes time to count them - I thought English were proud that they know how to form a queue properly - although in Russia queuing is an art form:
Watch on youtube.com
Hooloovoo
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
66%

Postby Victor_Broom » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

azazel wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00y8x5h/Jeremy_Vine_Jeremy_dicsusses_the_vigilante_granny

I went on the Jeremy Vine show today in relation to the Tesco diesel for coins.

forward to 1:40

Good effort azazel!

I really started getting wound up at one point as it appeared that no-one was taking it seriously. That guy saying "Just think ahead... he should have gone to the bank first" blah blah. In fact, I'm still wound up as no-one is getting the point here. :evil:

I guess this demonstrates how the general public think (or don't).
Victor_Broom
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
30.4%

Postby azazel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks. I did go to the bank but they were reluctant to accept my metal detecting coins. They wouldnt change them for notes but they would let me pay them into my account. No more than 5 bags of coins with £1 of copper, £5 silver or £20 in one or two pound coins. The ladies did not look happy counting the 2p coins with thier nice fancy nails when the weighing machine said there was only 98p in each bag. Some metal must have corroded off.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 pm

Hooloovoo wrote:I'm surprised that the host didn't dwell more on that the police got involved - that is completely out of bounce.
If You want to get away from the Police State and experience personal freedom in using legal tender coins You should move to my side of the Iron Curtain :D

I tried You coin trick with this lot:
I had no difficulties what so ever paying 240 rubles in coins in our local shop - and the shop assistant even thanked me for the purchase after she had finished counting the coins (although to be honest she didn't look like she meant it :D )

The bigger denomination coins where the most popular though, so I was still stuck with the small ones - until I came back to the shop a couple of days later and bought 2 packs of cigarettes (70 rubles) with 10 and 50 kopek coins - again without any difficulties, although this time I didn't get a "thank you" after paying.

Personally I don't like to walk with coins, so I always unload them when I get home - hence quite large sums eventually build up, and Your experience was a push for me to finally put my coins to use.
A pitty we don't have Tesco in Russia - but I think they would accept them if they were. It's legal tender after all, and what if it takes time to count them - I thought English were proud that they know how to form a queue properly - although in Russia queuing is an art form:
Watch on youtube.com

Nice! So you didnt get dragged off by the KGB and sent to Siberia? I thought I was going to be!! How times have changed...
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

PreviousNext

Return to Main Discussion Forum