Metal Detecting Thread. Find precious metals for free!

24Knews main news & discussion threads
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Re: Metal Detecting Thread. Find precious metals for free!

Postby Does Commute Abit » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:09 am

Of interest more than anything, but worth a look if you have a detector and live near Redruth:

Gold rush! Precious element used in iPods discovered in abandoned Cornish mine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -mine.html
Does Commute Abit
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
59.4%

Postby Jeremiah » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 am

Check out this guy's collection of vids and nuggets on Youtube, http://www.youtube.com/user/zaqqaz22 In other videos you see him supposedly digging up various nuggets up to 6.5oz. Seems genuine to me, but is it for real? With a total collection of1100oz? Surely there'd be a stampede into the area, with dozens of hotels and metal detector shops opening up in the vicinity. Actually, on paying closer attention, he seems to suggest they come from different areas. Anyway, that's the life for me. You can keep your Greek Islands for the hols. I'd happily spend a month or two in a campervan with just the dog, a guitar, a few beers and the detector. I'd be able to buy the seaside villa in the Aegean after the first trip anyway!
==================================================================================================================== "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
Jeremiah
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
17%

Postby Pixel8r » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Sudan's gold rush lures thousands to remote areas

By Deepa Babington | KHARTOUM | Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:39am BST

(Reuters) - Lured by tales of fortunes made overnight, businessman Amir Tabidi ditched the comfort of Khartoum to spend weeks braving blistering heat, bandits and snakes to hunt for gold in remote Sudanese desert areas.

Camped out in the wilderness without electricity or daily showers, Tabidi and his group found nearly 2 kilos of gold (worth nearly $94,000/57,500 pounds) in just two weeks of hunting with metal detectors. That was enough to convince the 34-year-old to make the arduous trip two more times -- joining countless others with similar dreams.

"Sometimes we would arrive at a place at night where there was just nothing there," said Tabidi, who works in his family's gold jewellery business in Khartoum.

"But by 5 a.m. you could start hearing the beep-beep of metal detectors, and by morning the whole area would be filled with people walking around with metal detectors. You'd say -- 'Where did all these people come from?' It was amazing."

Tabidi is one of tens of thousands of small-scale Sudanese prospectors undertaking hazardous expeditions across barren areas to search for gold, drawn by tales of big finds and prices that have topped record highs this year above $1476 an ounce.

"Now we have the so-called gold fever because everybody is searching for gold, just like in 19th century America," Minerals Minister Abdelbagi Gailani told Reuters.

He estimates as many 200,000 small-scale prospectors are hunting in scattered areas in Sudan, forcing the government to consider incentives to stop them from selling the gold abroad and push for the creation of co-operatives to support them...
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby wee Jinky » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:28 pm

great thread
has inspired me to maybe get a detector myself (again)
I never found much with the very old and cheap detector I had
although without one I have found 2 sovereigns a 2 peso gold coin with ring
and 2 gold rings
I live backing onto a field where the first shots of WW1 were fired
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/ ... t_01.shtml
Ironically, the final shots of the war took place just yards away
unexploded ordinance may be the biggest problem
nothing ventured as they say
wee Jinky
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
1.4%

Postby azazel » Wed May 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Woohoo! I found my first gold today. Its an old wedding ring very bent up by the plow, but 22k and looks 100-200 years old at a guess. I'll post a picture at some point. I was hoping my first gold find would be some sort of hoard, but I will have to find that another time. I'm a bit envious of you, WeeJinky for finding 2 sovs and rings without a metal detector? How did you manage that? My Mum found 5 sovereigns clearing out a flat.

I haven't posted my recently as I haven't found much. I been finding lots of copper coins, pennies, buckles and buttons and other items around 100-300 years old but not much in silver and gold. They are not that good, metal detectors. They only go about 300mm deep and struggle with small items at that depth. They are not great at discriminating against rusty iron and require allot of practice to get familiar with the detector so as to interpret the signal to be worth digging.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby wee Jinky » Wed May 11, 2011 10:12 pm

well done on your find ,whats the current gold/beer can ratio ?
looking forward to the pic
I found the 2 sovs when clearing out an empty house for the council
they were in an old biscuit tin at the back of a cupboard
The 2 peso ring I found in an old mini (1965) that I bought for £30
its the first time I ever made a profit on buying a car
wee Jinky
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
1.4%

Postby InSilverWeTrust » Wed May 11, 2011 11:26 pm

I've been thinking of giving this a try. Out quite often walking the staff...so why not.

Any views on one of these? - Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector
Random avatar
InSilverWeTrust
Quarter Krug Member
Quarter Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
13.1%

Postby azazel » Thu May 12, 2011 8:15 am

wee Jinky wrote:well done on your find ,whats the current gold/beer can ratio ?
looking forward to the pic
I found the 2 sovs when clearing out an empty house for the council
they were in an old biscuit tin at the back of a cupboard
The 2 peso ring I found in an old mini (1965) that I bought for £30
its the first time I ever made a profit on buying a car

The fields around me are pretty clean of modern rubbish. I find Victorian rubbish, brass bits and bobs. Yesterday I went out for about an hour and I found 2 lead "nuggets", casting splashes I guess, from making bullets in the field? I find allot of them.They are very old as the surface has mineralised into a crumbly dark grey material. I found three old penny, 12 penny and farthing type coins. 200-300 years old and the piece of gold and two items of modern rubbish. I think this field I'm working used to have a market on it years ago as I have found allot of coins (not suitable for Tesco)
InSilverWeTrust wrote:I've been thinking of giving this a try. Out quite often walking the staff...so why not.

Any views on one of these? - Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector

My first detector was a Garrett Ace 250 and I still have it for a spare for the kids if they come with me. Its great at finding coins in the park. I found a coin every meter in the park and it pinpoints the location to within 2" so I could pop the coin out with a trowel, until I was thrown out by the council and chased off by the Police. I went out with my friend who has a cheap detector (£90 from Tandy I think) and the Garrett Ace 250 was much, much better. There are some videos on youtube of people out detecting with an Ace 250 which are worth watching. I would consider buying one second hand on eBay, (although they seem to sell for about £130 so you might be better off with a new one) as people often buy one and then never use it, and get a Garrett propointer too for about £90. I have a Minelab Explorer2 (I paid £375 used) which is very good but heavier and I much prefer it to the ace 250. The biggest problem is having land with permission to detect on. If you can get that then its worth getting a detector unless you don't mind taking the chance of upsetting someone by detecting without permission.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:23 pm

I found a Charles 1st silver shilling today. Its a hammered coin, in reasonable condition considering its been in a stoney plowed field for the last 400 years. It was right on the surface, with 3/4 stick out the ground. I will post a photo later once I find my camera and recover the batteries from the kids toys....
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:46 am

ImageImage

Its quite large, bigger than a 2p but thinnier as it is hammered. My first hammered coin and quite a good one really I think.
Last edited by azazel on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby triple-agent » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 am

looks like a Elizabeth I sixpence

edit - on second thoughts the numbering on the right makes it more likely to be charles I

nice find!
triple-agent
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
70.7%

Postby azazel » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:07 am

Nah I dont think so, I looked it up in my spink book and I think its a Charles 1st shilling, 1645/6. I will find an example of a nice one for comparison. I did think it was a six pence at first though.

I'll have to go out again today detecting, as my enthusiasm has been renewed! Id love to find a nice old gold coin.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby triple-agent » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:11 am

azazel wrote:Nah I dont think so, I looked it up in my spink book and I think its a Charles 1st shilling, 1645/6. I will find an example of a nice one for comparison. I did think it was a six pence at first though.

I'll have to go out again today detecting, as my enthusiasm has been renewed! Id love to find a nice old gold coin.

sorry - i edited my post - i think you're right
triple-agent
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
70.7%

Postby azazel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:03 pm

In the same field as I found the Charles1 shilling, today I found what I think is an Elizabeth1 three-farthings, 1560ish. They are quite rare especially one version which was "milled" which I think refers to a manufacturing process involving a mill powered by horses, of which there is only 3 known examples so I'm hoping this is the fourth! Its very tiny at 14mm and thin, made from high purity silver and retains amazing detail considering its been plowed every year in a stony field. Image

azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby Jeremiah » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Nice one, Azazel. Must be an interesting feeling to pick up something that hasn't been handled for 500 years and wonder who lost it and how and how they lived etc. I hope it's worth a bit more than expected. I know it's not in the same league but I remember reading about a woman who found a smallish rectangular gold brooch (?) piece that was worth £250,000. So it's not only the spot weight to think about as in my earlier post about that Aussie guy and his nuggets. Lots of similar finds here Fascinating hobby.
==================================================================================================================== "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
Jeremiah
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
17%

Postby azazel » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:53 pm

apparently its a penny not a three farthing. Oh well...
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:47 pm

I found four silver coins this weekend, in the same field. All were high grade silver. A 1909 shilling, a godless Victorian florin, a young head Victorian 3d, and a 1707 French coin weighing 2.75 grams. I will post some pictures soon.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby nobla » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:06 pm

I went out metal detecting with my mother a few weeks ago, really enjoyed it, although her club doesnt like non members coming along, something to do with insurance. She goes every Sunday to places all over Hampshire.

she told me about a club called the 'weekend wanderers' which seems to cater for novices and people who do it less often, might give it a go :)
nobla
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
24%

Postby azazel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:55 pm

I considered joining a club. They go out every other Sunday and meet once a month down at the pub to compare finds, have talks by enthusiasts, archaeologists, experts & museum staff. So its quite a social thing. I am busy on Sundays so I don't have the time and I have my own land to search. The fields round me are close to a stately Victorian house. There was a house on the site before that and even a roman settlement, so I live in hope! I mostly find Victorian items. The fields are quite clean with little modern rubbish. Aluminium is the worst enemy as it doesn't decompose and is similar to silver and copper to a detector. My son found the French hammered coin so I think he will be hooked now as its quite exciting when you find something like that.
azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

Postby azazel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Ive not been out for a while but now the weather is looking nice, I thought I try my luck. I found this silver hammered 3 pence dated 1575. It has some nice details. Im not sure on value, £100 maybe?

azazel
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
64.4%

PreviousNext

Return to Main Discussion Forum