Fukushima nuke plant out of control!

24Knews main news & discussion threads
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Fukushima nuke plant out of control!

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:38 pm

Watch on youtube.com
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18107
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Ziknik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:14 pm

... from the video above we can see that the building structural steel work seems to have survived the explosion. This would suggest the reactor (if it was in that building) will be intact. I think it is confirmed that the reactor is intact at the time of this post. In the video they think the roof has collapsed.
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
User avatar
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Ziknik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:24 pm

The expert in the video is pretty good. I like him. Although I don't agree that nuclear power shouldn't exist
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
User avatar
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Ziknik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm going to nip to ASDA later to buy a few gallons of drinking water.

It might be helpful to have some pre-explosion water in the house.
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
User avatar
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Sounds like they have this under control now, supposedly the reactor is contained and they are using sea water to cool it.
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18107
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Ziknik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Good news. I'll have a posh cold bath with all the water I just bought :?

EDIT: I don't really know that much about reactor design... BUT the sea water must have radioactive material in it now (based on the belief that the cooling water had radioactive material in it).
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
User avatar
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:45 pm

Ziknik wrote:Good news. I'll have a posh cold bath with all the water I just bought :?

EDIT: I don't really know that much about reactor design... BUT the sea water must have radioactive material in it now (based on the belief that the cooling water had radioactive material in it).

Heard some expert saying that the radiation that gets into water used to cool reactors doesn't last very long. :?
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18107
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Ziknik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:48 pm

It's interesting that the explosion was caused by hydrogen splitting from the cooling water because you need a really really high temperature to achieve that affect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_splitting
Thermal decomposition, also called thermolysis, is defined as a chemical reaction whereby a chemical substance breaks up into at least two chemical substances when heated. At elevated temperatures water molecules split into their atomic components hydrogen and oxygen. For example at 2200 °C about three percent of all H2O molecules are dissociated into various combinations of hydrogen and oxygen atoms, mostly H, H2, O, O2, and OH. Other reaction products like H2O2 or HO2 remain minor. At the very high temperature of 3000 °C more than half of the water molecules are decomposed, but at ambient temperatures only one molecule in 100 trillion dissociates by the effect of heat. However, catalysts can accelerate the dissociation of the water molecules at lower temperatures.


I'm not sure they have any steel that could have survived that temperature. So what did they make the cooling system out of? What are the pumping the sea water through if the cooling system has melted?
Last edited by Ziknik on Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
User avatar
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Ziknik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Pixel8r wrote:
Ziknik wrote:Good news. I'll have a posh cold bath with all the water I just bought :?

EDIT: I don't really know that much about reactor design... BUT the sea water must have radioactive material in it now (based on the belief that the cooling water had radioactive material in it).

Heard some expert saying that the radiation that gets into water used to cool reactors doesn't last very long. :?

I think I might pop of and buy a few kilos of frozen fish. It can't hurt to avoid fresh fish in the next few months.
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
User avatar
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Ziknik wrote:
Pixel8r wrote:
Ziknik wrote:Good news. I'll have a posh cold bath with all the water I just bought :?

EDIT: I don't really know that much about reactor design... BUT the sea water must have radioactive material in it now (based on the belief that the cooling water had radioactive material in it).

Heard some expert saying that the radiation that gets into water used to cool reactors doesn't last very long. :?

I think I might pop of and buy a few kilos of frozen fish. It can't hurt to avoid fresh fish in the next few months.

Especially Tuna. ;)
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18107
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:34 pm

Magnitude 4.8 aftershocks happening in japan right now!

World map of live alerts going off - http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18107
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Ziknik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:13 pm

Ziknik wrote:It's interesting that the explosion was caused by hydrogen splitting from the cooling water because you need a really really high temperature to achieve that affect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_splitting
Thermal decomposition, also called thermolysis, is defined as a chemical reaction whereby a chemical substance breaks up into at least two chemical substances when heated. At elevated temperatures water molecules split into their atomic components hydrogen and oxygen. For example at 2200 °C about three percent of all H2O molecules are dissociated into various combinations of hydrogen and oxygen atoms, mostly H, H2, O, O2, and OH. Other reaction products like H2O2 or HO2 remain minor. At the very high temperature of 3000 °C more than half of the water molecules are decomposed, but at ambient temperatures only one molecule in 100 trillion dissociates by the effect of heat. However, catalysts can accelerate the dissociation of the water molecules at lower temperatures.


I'm not sure they have any steel that could have survived that temperature. So what did they make the cooling system out of? What are the pumping the sea water through if the cooling system has melted?

BBC reckon the mega high temperatures have only happened local to the fuel rods so the rest of the reactor vessel hasn't melted.

They're going to be keeping this one cooled down for the next 50 years. I don't think this is going to have a quick fix.
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
User avatar
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Ziknik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:18 pm

The Cooling Water on Reactor No 3 has gone down on the same site
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
User avatar
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:11 pm

Watch on cnbc.com
&play=1
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18107
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:13 pm

Watch on youtube.com
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18107
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Official: Japan's nuclear situation nearing severity of Chernobyl

By Alanne Orjoux, CNN | March 15, 2011 | Updated 1912 GMT (0312 HKT)

(CNN) -- The explosion Tuesday at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant has elevated the situation there to a "serious accident" on a level just below Chernobyl, a French nuclear official said, referring to an international scale that rates the severity of such incidents.

The International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale -- or INES -- goes from Level 1, which indicates very little danger to the general population, to Level 7, a "major accident" in which there's been a large release of radioactive material and there will be widespread health and environmental effects.

"It's clear we are at Level 6, that's to say we're at a level in between what happened at Three Mile Island and Chernobyl," Andre-Claude Lacoste, president of France's nuclear safety authority, told reporters Tuesday...
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18107
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Watch on youtube.com
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18107
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Jeremiah » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:17 am

The guy on this blog : http://mitnse.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-n ... -reactors/ gives a very clear account of his idea of the probable ongoing events within these reactors. Pity he doesn't continue further in his analysis to explain what his expected outcome or worst-case-scenario may be.
==================================================================================================================== "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
User avatar
Jeremiah
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
17%
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:32 am
Location: S. India

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Ziknik » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:44 pm

It's clear the situation is very serious and I'm glad I've stockpiled some bottled water and frozen fish.
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
User avatar
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Fukushima nuke plant out of control?

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:46 pm

Fukushima Update: Reactor 1 Core Now At 380 Degrees Celsius, 80 More Than Normal Running Temperature

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 03/22/2011 15:35 -0400

The latest news from Japan is not the radiation has now been found in various leaf vegetables in Fukushima, including cabbage and parsley: after all that was to be expected following the radioactive rain of the past few days. The news this time comes straight from TEPCO which finally admits that the temperature of Reactor 1 is 380-390 Celsius (715-735 Fahrenheit), which apparently is a "worry" as the reactor was meant to run at a temperature of 302 C (575 F). That is when the reactor is fully operational, not when it is supposed to be in a cold shut down mode...
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
User avatar
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket
 
Posts: 18107
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: South West UK

Next

Return to Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests