Property Meltdown

24Knews main news & discussion threads
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Re: Property Meltdown

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:03 pm » Safari 10.0.1 Safari 10.0.1  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

What could possibly go wrong! :wtf: :crazy:

"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby wee Jinky » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:31 pm » Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0  Android Android  Screen Resolution: 1280 x 800 1280 x 800

2 properties I have been watching in the Western Isles have been reduced by 40%, one is going to auction after 2 yrs on market.
Areas like this are the last to benefit from the boom and first to feel the bust.
Hopefully this is an indication we are on our way .
wee Jinky
Quarter Krug Member
Quarter Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
99.6%

Postby Laura » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:46 pm » Google Chrome 54.0.284 Google Chrome 54.0.284  Windows NT Windows NT  Screen Resolution: 1280 x 800 1280 x 800

wee Jinky » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:31 pm wrote:2 properties I have been watching in the Western Isles have been reduced by 40%, one is going to auction after 2 yrs on market.
Areas like this are the last to benefit from the boom and first to feel the bust.
Hopefully this is an indication we are on our way .

The 'Trump's Mother Effect' could well change that, with the Outer Hebrides becoming the 'Fulham of the North'.
The news came from this channel:

Watch on youtube.com
Sai Baba, answering the question "What is the purpose of physical life?" responded: "To learn not to do it again."
Laura
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
34.2%

Postby Laura » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:48 am » Google Chrome 54.0.284 Google Chrome 54.0.284  Windows NT Windows NT  Screen Resolution: 1280 x 800 1280 x 800

Buy-to-let investor, 28: "The Government is ruining my life's work"

Oh diddums. Cue the violins, it's a chancer in a suit:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/bu ... ifes-work/

I do in part understand why the government has wanted to implement these changes, but for me this is a life's work and one that I have built up over many years and became very good at.

So it is hard to take when your legitimate business expenses are taxed, after you have invested so much time and money into this business, and have built up a great reputation with your customers

Go on Ryan, do the decent thing. It looks far enough down to guarantee your departure.
Sai Baba, answering the question "What is the purpose of physical life?" responded: "To learn not to do it again."
Laura
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
34.2%

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:21 pm » Safari 10.0.1 Safari 10.0.1  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Laura » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:48 am wrote:Buy-to-let investor, 28: "The Government is ruining my life's work"

Oh diddums. Cue the violins, it's a chancer in a suit:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/bu ... ifes-work/

I do in part understand why the government has wanted to implement these changes, but for me this is a life's work and one that I have built up over many years and became very good at.

So it is hard to take when your legitimate business expenses are taxed, after you have invested so much time and money into this business, and have built up a great reputation with your customers

Go on Ryan, do the decent thing. It looks far enough down to guarantee your departure.

The government ruining a 28 year old life's work, maybe he should run home to mummy! :roll:
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby d2thdr » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:16 am » Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0  Ubuntu Linux 64 bits Ubuntu Linux 64 bits  Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768 1366 x 768

PIxel8r,
Thanks for the reply in other thread.

I think I am going to buy an house early next year. Though I am getting a huge mortgage, I am buying a very modest space for a capital repayment equal to the rent I am paying. The economic nonsense has gone on far too long and the catastrophic outcome is inevitable, it might be imminent either 2017 or 2018 as per many including people like Rick Rule, Julian Blagden etc. My reasoning is the landlord could raise rents as the banks potentially could recall loans and they would naturally pass the costs to me.

If I can get to 2020, without spending any gold, then there would be incredible bargains to have as people are eyeballs in debt and more houses will come on the market in the form of distress sales.

I think gold in $$ falling into the new year as dollar strengthens, but hopefully it will strengthen in ££ as pound weakness will be exacerbated with strengthening dollar.
In the world today there are only three assets, gold, oil and currencies. The paper currencies, so long admired and accepted are now in a war of self destruction. They will consume each other in an end battle of "I'm the last man standing but have lost all use as a unit of value".
d2thdr
Quarter Krug Member
Quarter Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
3.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:36 pm » Safari 10.0.1 Safari 10.0.1  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

My thinking is if the banks start recalling loans it will pay to get on as long tenancy as possible, I recently moved into a new place and have got a 1 yr agreement. I think we are going to see massive changes over the next year and being on a nice cheap fixed rent seems good to me currently. As far as landlords raising rents I don't think that will be an option, landlords would need to find another provider and when it starts happening there won't be many. If the banks start to do it they would take over as your landlord I recokn, it is liquidty that they need after all.

When thinking about buying I always end up looking at the house price gold ratio chart to see where I think we are in the cycle. If this gold bull if echoing the 70's one we are currently at around 1976. I am expecting the current the average UK house price in gold to fall from the current 200 down to 50. It also makes me glad I started buying metal in 2004. :)

Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby d2thdr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:33 pm » Firefox 50.0 Firefox 50.0  Windows NT 64 bits Windows NT 64 bits  Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768 1366 x 768

That is a very fair assessment of the situation. But my wife is not very happy to keep renting and I think I am giving in. I will need to liquidate about 65 ounces to fund the deposit. Painful as it feels to do that, the property seems reasonbly priced for the area. Though some people want ridiculous prices for their shacks, private schooling for 2 does not come cheap and THAT is my biggest outgoing, making affordability very tough.

But as I said in the earlier post, I want to retain a substantial portion of gold at least until 2020. If I can do that, I think I will go on to the other side of the transition relatively better off than many of my friends who are truly eyeballs into debt.
In the world today there are only three assets, gold, oil and currencies. The paper currencies, so long admired and accepted are now in a war of self destruction. They will consume each other in an end battle of "I'm the last man standing but have lost all use as a unit of value".
d2thdr
Quarter Krug Member
Quarter Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
3.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:04 pm » Safari 10.0.1 Safari 10.0.1  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Fighting female nesting hormones is no easy task, good luck whatever route you take.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby d2thdr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:52 pm » Firefox 51.0 Firefox 51.0  Windows NT 64 bits Windows NT 64 bits  Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768 1366 x 768

Yes totally agree. I feel sorry for my wife though. She has put through the phase of stacking the physical from 2009 onwards. And now she is really bored.

The earlier planned purchase fell through so I am now going for a new build. 5% deposit. In theory, I can buy that 4 bed detatched as a cash purchase but thats stupid.

5% deposit and 20% zero interest government loan for 5 years is insane. no wonder why house prices are ridiculous.

A mate of mine who bought new 3 years back, got a call from the government agency saying he still has 2 more years to pay off the government loan of 50K. If he is willing to pay it off in the new week, they will waive 10k. I think thats free money. Of course he did.

So now I am buying for a measly 5% deposit, will use the rest to buy precious and wait for full 5 years. By then this house of cards should be in theory down.

Perhaps this is not a bad plan after all. :whistle:
d2thdr
Quarter Krug Member
Quarter Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
3.4%

Postby wee Jinky » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:21 pm » Safari 4.0 Safari 4.0  Android Android  Screen Resolution: 1280 x 800 1280 x 800

Why would they offer a 20% haircut on that debt?
Desperate for liquidity perhaps.
We're drowning in debt, IRs cant be lowered to stimulate the market like last time, prices are already way too high so not much room for expansion there. Taking on debt for property just now would scare the proverbial outta me, but I wish you well.
wee Jinky
Quarter Krug Member
Quarter Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
99.6%

Postby Pixel8r » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:28 pm » Safari 10.0.1 Safari 10.0.1  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Yes, they seem determined to keep house prices up so much so that they continue to hand out free money. I guess when the CB is monetizing debt at the rate they are they can afford to hand out free money because it doesn't cost them to borrow.

I just wonder how much longer they can keep all these plates spinning, one day the piper needs to be paid.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby d2thdr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:49 am » Firefox 51.0 Firefox 51.0  Windows NT 64 bits Windows NT 64 bits  Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768 1366 x 768

Yes Wee Jinky, my reading the liquidity is an issue. Solvency is never a problem in the global banking system, its liquidity.

Pixel8r,
I listened to Jeff Snider of Allhambra partners on macrovoices podcast. I listened to the interview twice. And will do it again today. Highly recommended listening. He talks about liquidity issues
d2thdr
Quarter Krug Member
Quarter Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
3.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:56 pm » Safari 10.0.1 Safari 10.0.1  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

d2thdr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:49 am wrote:Pixel8r,
I listened to Jeff Snider of Allhambra partners on macrovoices podcast. I listened to the interview twice. And will do it again today. Highly recommended listening. He talks about liquidity issues

Got a link?
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:56 pm » Safari 10.0.1 Safari 10.0.1  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

d2thdr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 pm wrote:https://www.macrovoices.com

Macrovoices are doing some stellar interviews. I highly recommend them.

In no particular order- Jim Rogers, Rick Rule, Julian Brigden, Paul Krake, Grant Williams interviewing Jim Grant, Mark Yusko, Hugh Hendry are some of my favourites.

They also do RVTV encores in the form of a podcast which are also amazing.

Also listen to Jeffrey Christian interview from last June I think- which he explains workings of comex. I thought I knew. But he shed new light on it.

I am going to split this message to a new thread in our experts section entitled MacroVoices. Easy to embed the interviews and then discuss anything related.

>>> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1351
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:00 pm » Safari 10.1.1 Safari 10.1.1  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Had a call from my letting agent this week telling me that the Landlord wants to sell but will only be doing so to another landlord. I think that it will take a good while as the stampede starts...

The buy-to-let stampede begins: 'How best to sell my 37 properties?'

Like hundreds of thousands of his generation, Graeme Cook turned to property as his favoured means of amassing wealth.

But he started earlier than most, and went into it on a far greater scale.

And now, like one in five landlords, Mr Cook, 53, wants an exit strategy. He plans to sell most, if not all, of his properties over the next decade.

Buy-to-let investors now face tougher conditions. A weakening housing market, tough new legislation and the tightening of affordability checks by lenders are but a few problems causing landlords to run for the hills (see box below).

According to the National Landlords Association, 20pc of landlords plan to sell one or more of their properties in the next 12 months...
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:16 pm » Safari 11.0.2 Safari 11.0.2  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Coming to a country near you, lots of poor property investors crying about their outrageous interest increases. :violin:

Property Club investors stung with 45 pc mortgage repayment increases

The founder of one of the country's biggest property investment clubs says its 20,000 investors can't afford their mortgage repayments after the banks shifted them from interest-only loans to principal-and-interest mortgages earlier than they expected.

"How would you manage if your bank told you you had to pay 45 per cent more per month on your mortgage?" Kevin Young, founder of Queensland's Property Club (previously called The Investors Club) told The Australian Financial Review...

Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 am » Safari 11.0.2 Safari 11.0.2  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby d2thdr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm » Firefox 57.0 64 bits Firefox 57.0 64 bits  Windows NT 64 bits Windows NT 64 bits  Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768 1366 x 768

Pixel8r » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:03 pm wrote:What could possibly go wrong! :wtf: :crazy:

In Jan 2018, thinking laterally, if you get a fixed mortgage (2 or 5 year one), take 20% off the money from the .gov at 0% 5 year interest, then buy...you are actually transferring the risk to the bank and the .gov for the lending.

If you sell to do the above, transfer the surplus into Gold and let the chips fall where they may- you might actually do quite well in 5 years from now.
d2thdr
Quarter Krug Member
Quarter Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
3.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 pm » Safari 11.0.2 Safari 11.0.2  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

d2thdr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm wrote:In Jan 2018, thinking laterally, if you get a fixed mortgage (2 or 5 year one), take 20% off the money from the .gov at 0% 5 year interest, then buy...you are actually transferring the risk to the bank and the .gov for the lending.

If you sell to do the above, transfer the surplus into Gold and let the chips fall where they may- you might actually do quite well in 5 years from now.

A better idea would be to sell your property and move into rented while putting the capital into gold, let someone else carry the risk of overvalued property. That's what I did, taking a bit longer than I thought though. Takes balls of steel and a good understanding of what is going on in the financial system. I think being debt free is a very good position to be in this, as the rules can be changed unexpectedly.

Even being given 20% at zero percent doesn't make me think buying property currently is a good idea. Just shows their desperation to keep the bubble going.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

PreviousNext

Return to Main Discussion Forum