Best way to get exposure to growth mining shares?

News and comment on investment in mining
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Best way to get exposure to growth mining shares?

Postby danny34 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:48 am » Firefox 19.0 Firefox 19.0  Windows Seven 64 bits Windows Seven 64 bits  Screen Resolution: 1680 x 1050 1680 x 1050

I was wondering what's the best way to get exposure to a group of growth mining shares without taking on too much individual specific company risk? Most mining shares have been trading heavily down for the last year so my reasoning is that taking 'basket exposure' will work better than putting all your money into one or two companies? Besides gold I'm also intererested in silver stocks. I'm looking for the best funds/ETF's that would allow me to achieve this?
Random avatar
danny34
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
12%

Re: Best way to get exposure to growth mining shares?

Postby Pixel8r » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:39 pm » Safari 6.0.3 Safari 6.0.3  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 1680 x 1050 1680 x 1050

danny34 wrote:I was wondering what's the best way to get exposure to a group of growth mining shares without taking on too much individual specific company risk? Most mining shares have been trading heavily down for the last year so my reasoning is that taking 'basket exposure' will work better than putting all your money into one or two companies? Besides gold I'm also intererested in silver stocks. I'm looking for the best funds/ETF's that would allow me to achieve this?

Welcome to 24knews danny34 :wave:

The GDX or GDXJ would probably be best for a basket, but there are plenty of ETFs of miners around.

The GDX is the Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF, which holds major miners. You can see the components here - http://www.marketgrader.com/MGMainWeb/e ... jsp?id=GDX

There is also the GDXJ which is the Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF, which contains a basket of junior miners which offer more growth. We have a thread on the components of the GDXJ on here (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=370), although it is a a bit out of date now. I personally have been been using their list to try and identify stocks that look interesting. One of their top ten holdings which is also one of my favourites in Endeavour MIning (EDV).
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby danny34 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:13 pm » Firefox 19.0 Firefox 19.0  Windows Seven 64 bits Windows Seven 64 bits  Screen Resolution: 1680 x 1050 1680 x 1050

thanks Pixel, I will certainly look at those ETFS - are they london traded? To-date I've been focusing on individual companies [two main ones at the moment are Centamin and Avocet Mining] but their volatility is probably too much to stomach for many of us - they might look like bargains at the moment but I presume that those long term holders who have already lost some 150% on them would think otherwise :crazy:
Random avatar
danny34
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
12%

Postby danny34 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:19 pm » Firefox 19.0 Firefox 19.0  Windows Seven 64 bits Windows Seven 64 bits  Screen Resolution: 1680 x 1050 1680 x 1050

mining shares getting truly clobbered today the 15th April - Market Vectors TR Gold Miners ETF (GDX) down almost 8%
Random avatar
danny34
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
12%

Return to Mining Equity Investment