Silver Wheaton (TSE:SLW)

News and comment on investment in mining
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Re: Silver Wheaton (TSE:SLW)

Postby greed is good » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Pixel8r wrote:I fully expect taxes to rise on miners as time goes on, but the thing that excites me about companies like SLW is the fact that they are so under priced really in comparison to the metals.

When you think about it they actually benefit far more from the price of silver going up than a straight 1 to 1, so really when silver increases they should go up at a higher rate.

I know what you mean that their profit is better than 1 to 1. The only problem is that the higher the price goes then the worse their average price is if they do more deals.

Must confess I've taken some profits off the table in exchange for some useless pounds sterling. I went all in and decided that no matter how good something looks I shouldn't have the lot in one share.
That doesn't mean to say I wouldn't do it again and if April leads to some problems in the EU maybe I could get back in at a lower price - well my username is greed is good!
greed is good
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
2.1%

Postby Pixel8r » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:51 pm

greed is good wrote:I know what you mean that their profit is better than 1 to 1. The only problem is that the higher the price goes then the worse their average price is if they do more deals.

Must confess I've taken some profits off the table in exchange for some useless pounds sterling. I went all in and decided that no matter how good something looks I shouldn't have the lot in one share.
That doesn't mean to say I wouldn't do it again and if April leads to some problems in the EU maybe I could get back in at a lower price - well my username is greed is good!

I know what you mean about deals getting more expensive as the bull run goes further. The thing is that they already have loads of growth already in the bag, deals signed just waiting for mines to come online.They also have growth which happen from the current deals getting expanded by exploration.

I think you have done a wise thing there, I have been trading stocks for years and would never have everything in just one stock, it is far to risky a thing to do. I think that silver is very cheap still currently and won't be as the Greece problems get papered over next month, which can only mean that SLW goes a lot higher. I also think that it is easy to try and look to deeply into these sort of things, I prefer to look at the macro level rather than the micro.
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby fexx » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:54 am

Pixel8r wrote:I know what you mean about deals getting more expensive as the bull run goes further.

You could always hold out for the target price of $16.80 according to this analysis:

http://www.wikiwealth.com/research:slw

:D :D :D
Disclaimer - I am not backed by anything.
fexx
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
85.6%

Postby greed is good » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:22 am

fexx wrote:
Pixel8r wrote:I know what you mean about deals getting more expensive as the bull run goes further.

You could always hold out for the target price of $16.80 according to this analysis:

http://www.wikiwealth.com/research:slw

:D :D :D

It seems to be a sell on cash flow. :crazy:
greed is good
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
2.1%

Postby greed is good » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Full year results out tomorrow after market close.

http://silverwheaton.com/News1/PressRel ... fault.aspx
greed is good
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
2.1%

Postby Pixel8r » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Silver Wheaton Reports Record Operating And Financial Results In 2011; Earnings And Operating Cash Flows Nearly Double

FULL YEAR HIGHLIGHTS

• Third consecutive year of increasing attributable production to a record 25.4 million silver equivalent ounces (24.6 million ounces of silver and 18,400 ounces of gold), a 7% increase compared to 2010. This resulted in record revenue, earnings and operating cash flows.
  • Revenue increased 73% compared to 2010, to US$730.0 million, on silver equivalent sales of 21.1 million ounces (20.2 million ounces of silver and 18,300 ounces of gold).
  • Net earnings increased 92% compared to 2010 (on an adjusted basis1), to US$550.0 million (US$1.56 per share).
  • Operating cash flows increased 96% compared to 2010, to US$626.4 million (US$1.77 per share1).
  • Cash operating margin1 increased 84% compared to 2010, to US$30.56 per silver equivalent ounce. Silver Wheaton's average realized silver equivalent price increased by 68% over this same period, demonstrating Silver Wheaton's leverage to increasing silver prices.
  • Average cash costs of US$4.091 per silver equivalent ounce (US$3.99 per ounce of silver and US$300 per ounce of gold), a 1% increase compared to 2010.
  • Adopted new dividend policy linking quarterly dividend payments to 20% of the previous quarter's operating cash flows, providing shareholders with additional exposure to increasing silver prices and to Silver Wheaton's exceptional production growth profile. During 2011, the Company paid US$63.6 million in dividends (US$0.18 per share).
  • Year-end cash balance of US$840.2 million, with a net cash position of US$761.6 million.

(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:06 am

Good to see the tripling of the quarterly dividend from SLW from the previous $0.03 to $0.09, this is due to their new policy of paying out 20% of cash flow back to investors. As the silver price goes up this is going to be turning into real money soon. :thumbup:
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby greed is good » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Are the figures above or below analyst expectations?
greed is good
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
2.1%

Postby Pixel8r » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:49 pm

greed is good wrote:Are the figures above or below analyst expectations?

I don't know it would depend on which analyst you were talking about, to tell you the truth I don't bother with analysts as they could just be promoting a stock they want to sell. Goldman Sachs and muppets comes to mind.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby greed is good » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:35 pm

It was just that they often say above or below analysts opinion and that impacts the price. Must be above because it's now up 1.80 Silver up 0.8 to help it along.
greed is good
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
2.1%

Postby greed is good » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 pm

VANCOUVER, April 2, 2012 /CNW/ - Silver Wheaton Corp. ("Silver Wheaton" or the "Company") (TSX:SLW)(NYSE:SLW) is pleased to announce end-of-year 2011 attributable proven and probable reserves of 798 million ounces of silver and 0.22 million ounces of gold, attributable measured and indicated resources of 452 million ounces of silver and 0.38 million ounces of gold, and attributable inferred resources of 355 million ounces of silver and 0.07 million ounces of gold.

During 2011, attributable proven and probable reserves decreased by 144 million ounces of silver and 0.03 million ounces of gold, attributable measured and indicated resources increased by 86 million ounces of silver and 0.14 million ounces of gold, and attributable inferred resources decreased by 139 million ounces of silver and increased by 0.02 million ounces of gold.

Silver Wheaton's decrease in 2011 attributable reserves was due in part to depletion from record production over the year, as well as a reduction in silver reserves at Goldcorp Inc.'s ("Goldcorp") Peñasquito mine and Primero Mining Corp.'s ("Primero") San Dimas mine.
http://silverwheaton.com/News1/PressRel ... fault.aspx

Have I got the figures right?

-144m, +86m -139m = -197m
Total is 798m + 452m + 355m = 1605m
So reserves are -9.1% down in 2011 though partly because production was higher.
greed is good
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
2.1%

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:08 pm

Mine financing, silver and Silver Wheaton's prospects - Randy Smallwood

Silver Wheaton CEO, Randy Smallwood, explains why the current funding environment is good for the company and why he remains bullish on the metal.

Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:52 pm

RBC launches coverage of Silver Wheaton, calls it ‘cash flow machine’

John Shmuel Jun 27, 2012 – 10:58 AM ET | Last Updated: Jun 27, 2012 2:30 PM ET

RBC initiated coverage of Silver Wheaton Corp. this week and took a pretty bullish position on the company.

RBC Capital Markets analyst Dan Rollins kicked off his coverage with an outperform rating, while giving the company a price target of $43. Shares in Silver Wheaton Corp. were last trading at $26.76 on the Toronto Stock Exchange (based on data gathered just before 11:00 a.m. Wednesday).

Vancouver-based Silver Wheaton is a pure play silver mining company. Mr. Rollins called it a “cash flow machine” in his initiation.

“Silver Wheaton is a unique precious metal investment vehicle as it provides direct leverage to silver without exposing investors to the operating and capital cost risks associated with its producing peers,” Mr. Rollins said in a note.

Many miners recently have suffered from increasingly higher costs to get their mines producing metal. As such, stocks in the mining sector have been in a rut as of late...
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:27 pm

I agree entirely with the reasons for buying stock in Silver Wheaton laid out in this article. Silver Wheaton is my top stock holding and is a very well run company which will massively benefit from a rising silver price, but their business model also means they have inflation protection built in over pure silver miners.

SLW current has future production reserves of 800 million ounces of silver at a guaranteed price of $4 per oz.

Silver Wheaton: Get In Before Fed Actions

Last week's cuts by the European Central Bank (ECB) played a significant role in the sell-off in the price of silver. Using iShares Silver Trust (SLV) as a proxy, the price of this commodity dropped by over 4% before recovering somewhat heading into the weekend. The turbulence in the commodities markets has dramatically ticked up over the past several weeks, and shows no signs of slowing down. Recent comments by the Federal Reserve have indicated that the U.S. economy continues to show signs of weakness, and that Fed action is on the horizon.

Where Does The Fed Stand?

The Fed's position is articulately and succinctly outlined in a recent article by Marc Courtenay. What Mr. Courtenay refers to as a "Lehman Moment" -- another instance of significant instability in a major global financial institution -- remains a possibility. Furthermore, a close reading of the Federal Open Market Committee's (FOMC's) minutes from last week reveal that the U.S. central bank is moving rapidly towards taking additional action...
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 am

David Morgan says that Silver Wheaton is his favourite silver mining company. :thumbup:

Watch on youtube.com
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:54 pm

Hot off the newswire, details to follow. Good to see SLW still making acquisitions. :thumbup:

Silver Wheaton Acquires Life of Mine Precious Metals Streams from Hudbay's 777 Mine and Constancia Project
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby greed is good » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:04 pm

VANCOUVER, Aug. 8, 2012 /CNW/ - Silver Wheaton Corp. ("Silver Wheaton" or the "Company") (TSX:SLW) (NYSE:SLW) is pleased to announce that it has agreed to acquire from HudBay Minerals Inc. ("Hudbay") (TSX:HBM) (NYSE:HBM) 100% of the life of mine silver production from its currently producing 777 Mine ("777"), located in Canada, and 100% of the life of mine silver production from its Constancia Project ("Constancia"), located in southern Peru. In addition, Silver Wheaton has agreed to acquire 100% of the life of mine gold production from Hudbay's 777 Mine until Constancia satisfies a completion test, or the end of 2016, whichever is later. At that point, Silver Wheaton's share of gold production from 777 will be reduced to 50% for the remainder of the mine life.

Silver Wheaton will pay Hudbay total cash consideration of US$750 million, of which US$500 million is payable upon closing, with two further payments of US$125 million each to be made upon the satisfaction of minimum capital expenditures having been incurred at Constancia. In addition, Silver Wheaton will make ongoing payments of the lesser of US$5.90 per ounce of silver and US$400 per ounce of gold (both subject to an inflationary adjustment) or the prevailing market price per ounce of silver and gold delivered.

Re the gold they need them to produce as much as possible as quickly as possible before 2016 and their share drops 50%?
greed is good
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
2.1%

Postby Garincho » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:49 am » Firefox 15.0.1 Firefox 15.0.1  Windows XP Windows XP  Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600 1024 x 600

I've got shares in Silver Wheaton via a TD Direct Investing ISA but haven't received the dividend that was supposed to be due in mid-September. Has anybody else not received them and how do they usually send them, is it in the post?
Random avatar
Garincho
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
0.9%

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:51 am » Safari 6.0 Safari 6.0  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 1680 x 1050 1680 x 1050

Garincho wrote:I've got shares in Silver Wheaton via a TD Direct Investing ISA but haven't received the dividend that was supposed to be due in mid-September. Has anybody else not received them and how do they usually send them, is it in the post?

I got paid a dividend from SLW in TDW on the 14/09/2012, so I'm not sure why yours hasn't shown yet. It will just show up as cash in your ISA account.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Garincho » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:24 am » Google Chrome 22.0.122 Google Chrome 22.0.122  Windows XP Windows XP  Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600 1024 x 600

Pixel8r wrote:I got paid a dividend from SLW in TDW on the 14/09/2012, so I'm not sure why yours hasn't shown yet. It will just show up as cash in your ISA account.

Sorry yeah, I've seen it now! I was expecting some kind of notification but when I've checked in account history I got the dividend payment on 14th September.
Random avatar
Garincho
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
0.9%

PreviousNext

Return to Mining Equity Investment