GDXJ Components for UK ISA

News and comment on investment in mining
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

GDXJ Components for UK ISA

Postby Pixel8r » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:42 pm

This kicked off in the gold thread and has been added here for further conversation. I have been trying to identify which of the elements of the junior gold fund GDXJ would be suitable to be bought within a UK ISA.

Here's a decent recent article on GDXJ - http://news.goldseek.com/Zealllc/1287162000.php

Here's a list of the ones that i think can be bought in a UK ISA, I have been through this list and created links to the miners websites;

Alamos Gold Inc (AGI.TO) - Producing gold miner in Mexico - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=372

Aurizon Mines Ltd (ARZ.TO)

Detour Gold Corp (DGC.TO)

European Goldfields Ltd (EGU.TO)

Fronteer Development Group Inc (FRG.TO)

Gabriel Resources Ltd (GBU.TO)

Gammon Gold Inc (GRS.N) - Producing/Exploration gold miner in Mexico - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=373

Golden Star Resources Ltd (GSS.A)

Great Basin Gold Ltd (GBG.TO)

Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG.TO) - Producing gold miner in Brazil - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=371

Kirkland Lake Gold Inc (KGI.TO)

Lake Shore Gold Corp (LSG.TO)

New Gold Inc (NGD.TO)

Northgate Minerals Corp (NXG.TO)

NovaGold Resources Inc (NG.TO)

Rubicon Minerals Corp (RMX.TO)

Silvercorp Metals Inc (SVM.TO) - Producing silver miner in China - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=144

SEMAFO INC (SMF.TO)

Allied Nevada Gold Corp (ANV.A)

Coeur d Alene Mines Corp (CDE.N)

Hecla Mining Co (HL.N)

US Gold Corp (UXG.A)

There are a few missing from this list, I will try to add them as I get time.

Once I do a bit more research into any of the stocks in this list I will start a new thread for each and create a link here. If anyone else does any research into any of these post about it in here.
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Re: GDXJ Components for UK ISA

Postby Does Commute Abit » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:33 am

Great thread, Pix, I shall also do some research and post it here!
Does Commute Abit
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
59.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:58 am

Diet Cola Addict wrote:Great thread, Pix, I shall also do some research and post it here!

I am going to be starting a thread on Gammon Gold, which looks interesting, over the next few days.
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Does Commute Abit » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Seasonals for GDXJ compared to GDX are shown below. The first thing I want to do is look for an obvious calender period for optimally timing a purchase, like the pre-Sept window for gold bullion.

There is obviously little data on which to build the chart, and what there is for GDX is volatile (the standard errors over 4/5 years are huge!). Timing purchases here is clearly going to require more technical analysis savvy than a seasonality chart! However, there is a clear summer doldrums region in the summer months for both GDX and GDXJ where a calm entry point may exist.
Does Commute Abit
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
59.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:36 pm

I like to take a small position in companies that I like the look of and then build that position at opportune times. What I tend to do is keep a larger % of my cash in bullion and then use the profits from this to feed into my ISA for buying miners. I find by taking a small position it focuses me on certain companies and enables deeper research into them.

I am currently around 60% bullion and 40% Shares. I have been making much better returns from the shares than the bullion, but like to keep a bullion (cash position) as it feels safer to me. It is all about management of your own risk levels really I guess, last year I made around 150% return from shares, but around 45% from bullion.

Keeping a larger bullion position enables you to recover and take advantage of any stock market crashes like in 08. I had some positions in mining shares in 08 and lost a lot on them, but sold some bullion and added to the right shares at rock bottom prices. It proved to be a very good move, so I want to make sure I still have that ability if there is another massive crash.

As the gold/silver bull continues I expect that I will end up with more equity in shares than bullion.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:44 am

Interesting listening to Eric Sprott today talking about now being an opportune time to invest in gold stocks. Glad I bought the two I did this week.

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/Broadcast/Entries/2010/10/30_Eric_Sprott.html
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby mongoose » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:22 am

Great thread. I was doing exactly the same and trying to identify the ISA viable stocks. Did you do your analysis on the full list?

http://www.vaneck.com/FundHoldings.aspx?ticker=GDXJ
http://www.vaneck.com/IndexHoldings.aspx?ticker=MVGDXJ
Random avatar
mongoose
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
12%

Postby Pixel8r » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:22 pm

mongoose wrote:Great thread. I was doing exactly the same and trying to identify the ISA viable stocks. Did you do your analysis on the full list?

Hi mongoose, welcome to 24K.

Checking your list it looks like there are a few that are included which won't on the list that "Diet Cola Addict" posted, I went off his list which is here.

When I get time I will go through the list you have provided and see which ones I think you will be able to buy in an ISA and add them to the list above.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Does Commute Abit » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:09 pm

Corrections as I work through this list on a rainy UK sunday afternoon :

the correct ticker is :

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=FRG.TO ... 7919520251

PS welcome, mongoose! Thanks for the full list
Does Commute Abit
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
59.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:34 pm

Diet Cola Addict wrote:Corrections as I work through this list on a rainy UK sunday afternoon :

the correct ticker is :

Both were actually right, Fronteer Gold trades in Toronto under the symbol FRG but also on NYSE under the same symbol. That is actually the same for quite a few of the stocks listed above.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:44 pm

mongoose wrote:Great thread. I was doing exactly the same and trying to identify the ISA viable stocks. Did you do your analysis on the full list?

I have noticed that China Gold International is on the list, I own some of these from when they were Jinshan. With the recent name change they have dropped off the CREST settlement system, so can't currently be held within an ISA even though they are on the TSE. Maybe they will be re-listed on CREST soon.

China Gold Int Resources Corp. (TSE:CGG) - Producing gold miner in China - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby mongoose » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:45 pm

Some other analysis I have done concerning the four available UK "Gold" funds. Of the 4 I lean towards Ruffer and Smith and Williamson because of their lower senior weighting (and that Ruffer has easily outperformed Blackrock for me.) Below are the latest top-ten holdings of the funds as a % and underlined italicised GDXJ components.

Blackrock Gold & General = 0 GDXJ components
Newcrest Mining 7.5
Newmont Mining 6.7
Fresnillo 5.5
Randgold Resources 5.2
Kinross Gold 5.0
Lihir Gold 4.9
Minas Buenaventura 4.8
Goldcorp 4.7
Eldorado Gold 3.7
AngloGold Ashanti 3.5

Investec Global Gold = 2 GDXJ components
NEWMONT MINING CORP 8.7
BARRICK GOLD CORP 6.9
LIHIR GOLD 5.9
GOLDCORP INC 5.1
RANDGOLD RESOURCES 5.1
SEMAFO INC 4.4
DETOUR GOLD CORPORATION 4.4

FRESNILLO PLC 4.2
RED BACK MINING INC 3.9
ELDORADO GOLD CORP 3.8

Ruffer Baker Steel Gold Fund = 4 GDXJ components
Nevsun Resources 5.3
OceanaGold 5.3
Great Basin Gold 5.2

Centerra Gold 4.8
Allied Gold 3.3
Resolute Mining 4.3
Red Back Mining 3.9
Lihir Gold 4.0
Gold Fields 4.0
IAMGold 4.1

Smith & Williamson Global Gold & Resources = 2 GDXJ components
ELDORADO GOLD CORP 3.9
GOLDCORP INC 3.7
RANDGOLD RESOURCES 3.4
SEMAFO INC 3
OSISKO MINING CORP 3
CENTRAL FUND OF CANADA 2.7
RED BACK MINING INC 2.7
FRESNILLO PLC 2.5
IAMGOLD CORP 2.5
SAN GOLD CORP 2.1
Random avatar
mongoose
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
12%

Postby Does Commute Abit » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:48 pm

Pixel8r wrote:Both were actually right, Fronteer Gold trades in Toronto under the symbol FRG but also on NYSE under the same symbol. That is actually the same for quite a few of the stocks listed above.

Thanks Pixel, I did notice some on both exchanges, but sometimes stockcharts only lists one of the two.

I noticed also the following, if only because they are well below their peak share price in the last 3 year:

Approx down a quarter from peak

Lake Shore Gold Corp (LSG.TO)
New Gold Inc (NGD.TO)
Northgate Minerals Corp (NXG.A)
Rubicon Minerals Corp (RMX.TO)

Approx down a half from peak
Gammon Gold Inc (GRS.N)
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG.TO)
Does Commute Abit
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
59.4%

Postby mongoose » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:59 pm

Pixel8r wrote:

Hi mongoose, welcome to 24K.

Checking your list it looks like there are a few that are included which won't on the list that "Diet Cola Addict" posted, I went off his list which is here.

When I get time I will go through the list you have provided and see which ones I think you will be able to buy in an ISA and add them to the list above.

The links from Van Eck are for 1) their fund and 2) the actual Market Vectors Index so are the most up-to-date out there that I can find.

http://www.vaneck.com/funds/GDXJ.aspx

The Junior Gold Miners ETF seeks to replicate as closely as possible, before fees and expenses, the price and yield performance of the Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners Index. The Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners Index is a rules-based, modified market capitalization-weighted, float-adjusted index intended to investors exposure to small- and medium-capitalization companies in the gold or silver mining industry.
Random avatar
mongoose
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
12%

Postby Pixel8r » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 pm

I have added SEMAFO INC (SMF.TO) to the list above, not sure why I missed them. They seem like a popular choice, being the largest % holding in the GDXJ and also in three of the other funds posted.

I will try to make time to look more into this company and start a proper thread on them soon.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Does Commute Abit » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:47 pm

Pixel8r wrote:Checking your list it looks like there are a few that are included which won't on the list that "Diet Cola Addict" posted, I went off his list which is here.

To clarify, my original list was from a bit of quick internet research.
The list Mongoose has helpfully posted is the up-to-date all-inc list from Market vectors.
Does Commute Abit
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
59.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:07 pm

Another Gold Explorers ETF is due to launch on Thursday 4th November

http://cts.vresp.com/c/?GlobalXFunds/12 ... 110fc1ad24 - Fact Sheet

http://cts.vresp.com/c/?GlobalXFunds/12 ... 7e269c2713 - Prospectus
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby DoctorSolar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:12 am

Pixel8r wrote:This kicked off in the gold thread and has been added here for further conversation. I have been trying to identify which of the elements of the junior gold fund GDXJ would be suitable to be bought within a UK ISA.

Great thread Pix and very timely too. As I have been saying over on GEI now is the time for the juniors to fly. I stupidly didn't realise you couldn't hold either the GDXJ or ZJG in an ISA and TD Waterhouse didn't inform me either even though I did the transaction over the phone! Ended up having to pay for them and hold them in my normal trading account. Ah well lesson learned.

I had started doing this same process and now this thread has done the work for me. Thanks folks :)

So far I have the following on my shopping list:

Eldorado Gold Corp. (TSX:ELD; NYSE:EGO) (not in GDXJ from what I can tell?)
Great Basin Gold Ltd. (Public, TSE:GBG)
Alamos Gold Inc (AGI.TO)
New Gold Inc (NGD.TO)

I like these juniors that are in production but have good growth potential through exploration on their existing property.

Some of these have had a big pop of 50% or so over the last few months. Don't know if that can be sustained in the short term - but I'm getting a position in them now and will buy more if we pull back. With gold over 1300 and cash costs of under 400 these guys are gonna make a lot of profits.

Anyone taken a look at GLDX - an ETF for gold explorers?
DoctorSolar
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
24.8%

Postby Does Commute Abit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 pm

Any recommendations for a good online share ISA for purchasing juniors?

I'm less and less impressed with LLoyds TSB, who are mainly for UK-listed companies, with a 'clunky' interface. Although the fees are quite reasonable.
Does Commute Abit
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
59.4%

Postby Pixel8r » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:13 am

Diet Cola Addict wrote:Any recommendations for a good online share ISA for purchasing juniors?

I'm less and less impressed with LLoyds TSB, who are mainly for UK-listed companies, with a 'clunky' interface. Although the fees are quite reasonable.

I use selftrade.co.uk for my ISA which enables me to buy canadian juniors within my ISA, TSE not Venture. I also use TDwaterhouse.co.uk but for non ISA venture exchange stocks. I stick with selftrade because I have been with them a while and they don't charge me any ISA fees, otherwise I would probably switch it over to tdwaterhouse as there service seems a little better, in that you can hold different currencies.

So if I was setting up a fresh I would probably go with tdwaterhouse, but check them both out.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Next

Return to Mining Equity Investment