Top ten miners

News and comment on investment in mining
Forum rules
Please read: 24Knews Forum Rules

Top ten miners

Postby Pixel8r » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:37 pm

Thought I'd start a thread where we could post what we consider to be our top ten (or there about) gold and silver miner holdings. Here's my current top ten, in no particular order;

Royalty

Silver Wheaton (SLW.T)

Producing Juniors (also exploring)

Medusa Mining (MML.L)
Aurico Gold (AUQ.T)
Great Panther Silver (GPR.T)
Silvercorp Metals (SVM.T)
Endeavour Mining (EDV.T)
ECU Silver (ECU.T)
Timmins Gold Corp (TMM.T)
Silvercrest Mines (SVL.V)

Exploration Juniors

Cosigo Resources (CSG.V)
Gold Bullion Dev (GBB.V)
African Queen (AQ.V)

Oops that's 12 but you get the idea, what are your current favourites?
Last edited by Pixel8r on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to put into types
"Money is Gold, and nothing else"
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Re: Top ten miners

Postby Silver Bull » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:43 pm

First Majestic
Silver Bull
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
32%

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:07 pm

Silver Bull wrote:First Majestic

But thats only one, what about your others? :)
(As John Pierpont Morgan once stated under oath before the USCongress and the Pujo Commission in 1912)
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby DoctorSolar » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:58 pm

I split my miners in to several groups. My top 10 core positions are the following:

Explorers

Cosigo Resources (CVE:CSG)
Pretium Resources (TSE:PVG)

Juniors

Fortuna Silver Mines (FVI:TSE)
B2Gold Corp (BTO:TSE)

Mid-Tier

Gold Resource Corp (AMEX:GORO)
First Majestic (FR:TSE)

Royalty

Franco Navada: (FNV.TSE)
Silver Wheaton (SLW:TSE)

I also like GDXJ and GDX.

I am becoming increasingly concerned about Gold Bullion Dev (GBB.V) since its last news announcement of trying to lower the exercise price of warrants. Why would they do that if they weren't burning their way through cash at a rapid rate. Still haven't bailed yet though.
DoctorSolar
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
24.8%

Postby Pixel8r » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:11 pm

DoctorSolar wrote:I am becoming increasingly concerned about Gold Bullion Dev (GBB.V) since its last news announcement of trying to lower the exercise price of warrants. Why would they do that if they weren't burning their way through cash at a rapid rate. Still haven't bailed yet though.

Yes that is a bit worrying, I guess they are need some warrants to sell. I am still holding though, as bailing in the summer doldrums just before the spin off and 43-101 doesn't seem the right time.

Have you seen any news about the size of the deposit and possible release date for the 43-101?
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Garincho » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:23 pm

Pixel8r wrote:Thought I'd start a thread where we could post what we consider to be our top ten (or there about) gold and silver miner holdings. Here's my current top ten, in no particular order;

Royalty

Silver Wheaton (SLW.T)

Medusa Mining (MML.L)
Aurico Gold (AUQ.T)
Endeavour Mining (EDV.T)
ECU Silver (ECU.T)

Exploration Juniors

Cosigo Resources (CSG.V)
Gold Bullion Dev (GBB.V)
African Queen (AQ.V)

Hello Pixel8r and thanks for letting me join your site. Would you recommend the above miners as good buys still and if so can I buy them all from the same broker?
Random avatar
Garincho
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
0.9%

Postby Pixel8r » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 am

Garincho wrote:
Pixel8r wrote:Thought I'd start a thread where we could post what we consider to be our top ten (or there about) gold and silver miner holdings. Here's my current top ten, in no particular order;

Royalty

Silver Wheaton (SLW.T)

Medusa Mining (MML.L)
Aurico Gold (AUQ.T)
Endeavour Mining (EDV.T)
ECU Silver (ECU.T)

Exploration Juniors

Cosigo Resources (CSG.V)
Gold Bullion Dev (GBB.V)
African Queen (AQ.V)

Hello Pixel8r and thanks for letting me join your site. Would you recommend the above miners as good buys still and if so can I buy them all from the same broker?

Investing in mining companies is something that should only be done when you understand about the companies, this means doing your own due diligence (DYODD) on them. I wouldn't recommend anyone just buys into stocks after reading about them off a website, how knows who I am really, I could be deliberately ramping the stocks for my own benefit.

On saying the above I do think all of the stocks I have mentioned are still good longterm bets, some are more risky than others but they also have the most possible upside. All of the above stocks have been bought within an ISA in the uk via TD Waterhouse. If you are considering starting to buy some mining stocks, I do think now is a good time but I would urge you to do some of your own research into the companies to analysis which ones suit you investment needs. I would recommend producing mid-tiers & juniors as a good way to get started, avoiding the exploration stocks until you are a bit more experienced.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Silver Bull » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Pixel8r wrote:
Silver Bull wrote:First Majestic

But thats only one, what about your others? :)

See here Pix - still hold all these:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=351

and CSG GBB just added. Looking to add these:

Oro, Goldex and Riverside - any thoughts on these??
Silver Bull
New Drachma Holder
New Drachma Holder
Progress to next rank:
32%

Postby Garincho » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Pixel8r wrote:Investing in mining companies is something that should only be done when you understand about the companies, this means doing your own due diligence (DYODD) on them. I wouldn't recommend anyone just buys into stocks after reading about them off a website, how knows who I am really, I could be deliberately ramping the stocks for my own benefit.

On saying the above I do think all of the stocks I have mentioned are still good longterm bets, some are more risky than others but they also have the most possible upside. All of the above stocks have been bought within an ISA in the uk via TD Waterhouse. If you are considering starting to buy some mining stocks, I do think now is a good time but I would urge you to do some of your own research into the companies to analysis which ones suit you investment needs. I would recommend producing mid-tiers & juniors as a good way to get started, avoiding the exploration stocks until you are a bit more experienced.

I know buying shares is no sure fire bet and I could lose all my cash but I'll only be risking a small amount and it's money that's tied up earning next to nothing at the moment. I'll check the companies out first before I take the plunge but I do want to take a risk with mining shares due to the potential gains. If it turns sour, it's not going to ruin my life so it's worth a punt.

I think I already know the answer to this but is TD Waterhouse's £12.50 per trade the cost for each company i.e. if I bought 10 shares in Medusa Mining and 10 in ECU at the same time, I'd need to pay £25.00?
Random avatar
Garincho
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
0.9%

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:28 pm

Garincho wrote:
Pixel8r wrote:Investing in mining companies is something that should only be done when you understand about the companies, this means doing your own due diligence (DYODD) on them. I wouldn't recommend anyone just buys into stocks after reading about them off a website, how knows who I am really, I could be deliberately ramping the stocks for my own benefit.

I know buying shares is no sure fire bet and I could lose all my cash but I'll only be risking a small amount and it's money that's tied up earning next to nothing at the moment. I'll check the companies out first before I take the plunge but I do want to take a risk with mining shares due to the potential gains. If it turns sour, it's not going to ruin my life so it's worth a punt.

I think I already know the answer to this but is TD Waterhouse's £12.50 per trade the cost for each company i.e. if I bought 10 shares in Medusa Mining and 10 in ECU at the same time, I'd need to pay £25.00?

Yes, it is a per trade fee so you pay £12.50 per buy and sell of each stock. I would recommend buy a minimum of £1000 of each company, preferably a bit more. This because of the fees involved and also the buying spread, which is the difference between the buying and selling price.

You will find threads on here for most of the stocks mentioned, which has some information about the companies and also links to their websites and charts etc.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Garincho » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Pixel8r wrote:Yes, it is a per trade fee so you pay £12.50 per buy and sell of each stock. I would recommend buy a minimum of £1000 of each company, preferably a bit more. This because of the fees involved and also the buying spread, which is the difference between the buying and selling price.

You will find threads on here for most of the stocks mentioned, which has some information about the companies and also links to their websites and charts etc.

When I said I wouldn't be investing much in the mining stocks, I meant it literally.....£100 per company is all I'll be spending, so around £1250 in total as I'll probably go for 10 different stocks. What do you reckons the maximum return I could be looking at from any of the stocks you listed? I know you've not got a crystal ball and I can't expect the stocks to skyrocket but I am going to have a shot at them anyway and cross my fingers.
Random avatar
Garincho
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
0.9%

Postby Pixel8r » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Garincho wrote:
Pixel8r wrote:Yes, it is a per trade fee so you pay £12.50 per buy and sell of each stock. I would recommend buy a minimum of £1000 of each company, preferably a bit more. This because of the fees involved and also the buying spread, which is the difference between the buying and selling price.

When I said I wouldn't be investing much in the mining stocks, I meant it literally.....£100 per company is all I'll be spending, so around £1250 in total as I'll probably go for 10 different stocks. What do you reckons the maximum return I could be looking at from any of the stocks you listed? I know you've not got a crystal ball and I can't expect the stocks to skyrocket but I am going to have a shot at them anyway and cross my fingers.

If you only have that amount to invest I think you will better place just buying physical bullion with it, via someone like goldmoney or coins (CID). The trouble with only buying small amounts of shares is that the fees and spread kill any potential profit. I have never bought less than £1000 worth of any company I have invested in and usually try to buy more.

Really I would recommend getting into buying miners unless you have around 10k to play with, as you really also need to buy a few. Spending £100 per company you will immediately lose around 20% of your investment, from the buy spread and fee, by he time you add on your sell fee it makes it completely worthless. Yes there is the possibility of hitting a ten bagger, but they are few and far between. More likely you will be making a return of say around 25% a year, which when you account for your fees isn't worth it.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Garincho » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:31 pm

Pixel8r wrote:If you only have that amount to invest I think you will better place just buying physical bullion with it, via someone like goldmoney or coins (CID). The trouble with only buying small amounts of shares is that the fees and spread kill any potential profit. I have never bought less than £1000 worth of any company I have invested in and usually try to buy more.

Really I would recommend getting into buying miners unless you have around 10k to play with, as you really also need to buy a few. Spending £100 per company you will immediately lose around 20% of your investment, from the buy spread and fee, by he time you add on your sell fee it makes it completely worthless. Yes there is the possibility of hitting a ten bagger, but they are few and far between. More likely you will be making a return of say around 25% a year, which when you account for your fees isn't worth it.

Ok thanks for the advice, it doesn't really seem worth the risk.
Random avatar
Garincho
Silver Eagle Member
Silver Eagle Member
Progress to next rank:
0.9%

Postby Ziknik » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:30 pm

I've made some good money recently and I've decided to build myself a PM mining fund.

It is hard to pick a top 10 as I haven't had much time to think about my purchases.

The following 10 shares were my first purchases in my ISA so I suppose they are my top 10
Axmin Inc
Agnico-Eagle
Kinross Gold
Silver Standard Resources
Barrick Gold
Endeavour Mining
Newmont Mining
Cga Mining Ltd
Goldcorp Inc
Kingsgate Consolidated Ltd

The next 10 are in my wifes's ISA so I suppose these are her top 10
Anglogold Ashanti Ltd Ads
Gold Fields Ltd Adr
Vista Gold
Focus Minerals
Eastern Platinum Limited
Aurizon Mines Ltd
Minefinders
Aurico Gold
Eldorado Gold Corp
Petropavlovsk

And I bought these too (in no particular order)
Avocet Mining
Comp de Minas Buenaventura Ads
Minera Andes
Yamana Gold
Minera IRL Ltd
Coeur d Alene Mines Corp
Silvercorp Metals Inc
Centamin Egypt
Alamos Gold Inc
Randgold Resources Ads
Resolute Mining Ltd
Hecla Mining Co
China Gold Int Resources Corp
Iamgoldcorp
Integra Mining Ltd
IMPACT SILVER CORP
Aberdeen International
Kirkland Lake Gold Inc
Hochschild Mining PLC
Dundee Precious Metals
SEMAFO INC
Silver Wheaton
Great Panther Silver Ltd
Endeavour Silver Corporation
New Gold Inc
St Barbara Ltd
Gold Resource Corp
Fortuna Silver Mines
Medusa Mining
Alexco Resource
Nevsun Resources Ltd
First Majestic
Lonmin

I've bought equal amounts in each one and I chose them by painstakingly trawling to find companies with an income stream. The following links were good for screening stocks
http://tmx.quotemedia.com/screener.php?locale=EN
http://www.globeinvestor.com/v5/content/filters.html

I don't have any current plans to purchase any more miners (Except Lonmin if the price drops).
"we needed a fightback and a fightback is under way"
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%

Postby Pixel8r » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Ziknik wrote:I've made some good money recently and I've decided to build myself a PM mining fund.

It is hard to pick a top 10 as I haven't had much time to think about my purchases.

Wow thats a lot of companies you have bought shares in. I currently have 14 different ones and find it hard to keep up with what is going on with each of them. I usually try to keep my limit to around 10 different companies, preferring to attempt to keep up on the changes and developments in companies and then swap between them as things happen.

Here are my current 14 in order of amount of money in each, the top one has about 14 times more in than the bottom;

Silver Wheaton
Endeavour Mining
Pinetree Capital
Pretium Resources
Silvercorp Metals
Silvercrest Mines
Aurico Mining
Medusa Mining
Cosigo Resources
Timmins Gold Corp
Alamos Mining
Gold Bullion Development
Golden Minerals Company
African Queen Mines
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Ziknik » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:58 pm » Google Chrome Mobile 51.0.270 Google Chrome Mobile 51.0.270  Android Android  Screen Resolution: 360 x 640 360 x 640

Does anyone have Kirkland Lake Gold Inc?

I had 2 lots of it, 1 in UK and 1 in Canada.

The UK 1 seems to have gone bust and the Canada one has double bagged.

Does anyone know what's happened?

Says on the website they have de-listed in the uk.. but I haven't got any extra Canada units.
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%

Postby Pixel8r » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:17 pm » Safari 9.1.1 Safari 9.1.1  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Ziknik » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:58 pm wrote:Does anyone have Kirkland Lake Gold Inc?

Says on the website they have de-listed in the uk.. but I haven't got any extra Canada units.

You need to speak to your broker to find out what has happened.
Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Pixel8r » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:26 pm » Safari 9.1.1 Safari 9.1.1  Mac OS X Mac OS X  Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 2560 x 1440

Pixel8r
Founder
Founder
Rhodium Rocket
Rhodium Rocket

Postby Ziknik » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:37 am » Google Chrome Mobile 51.0.270 Google Chrome Mobile 51.0.270  Android Android  Screen Resolution: 360 x 640 360 x 640

Pixel8r » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:17 pm wrote:
Ziknik » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:58 pm wrote:Does anyone have Kirkland Lake Gold Inc?

You need to speak to your broker to find out what has happened.

They've been delisted from AIM.

I checked, I've still got the UK shares and I'll still be paid dividends as applicable. When I come to sell, my shares will be sold in the OTC market and I'll get the approximate Canada price
Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%

Postby Ziknik » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:38 am » Google Chrome Mobile 51.0.270 Google Chrome Mobile 51.0.270  Android Android  Screen Resolution: 360 x 640 360 x 640

Ziknik
Half Krug Member
Half Krug Member
Progress to next rank:
36.5%

Next

Return to Mining Equity Investment